Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

This has been the week that my son can register for junior high classes. Junior high here is 7th and 8th grade. He's currently in 6th grade and graduating from elementary in June.

The good news: He was accepted into the junior high he wanted! Hopefully he'll get the elective classes he wanted too.

The bad news: He's starting junior high in the fall....LOL He's excited about it, but I'm a little nervous and scared for him.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Replies (11-18):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

It is scary to see our children head off to junior high. Here that starts in 6TH grade. I was a nervous wreck when mine started.

Good luck mama!

I'm going to be a nervous wreck when September comes. Not only is he starting junior high, but he's going to be a teenager too. I'm scared.

I'm going to need everyone's support in here, especially yours since you've been through it already!!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

YAY and :O( My son switches schools this year to. It is the first school ever built in this town so it is BIG because at pone point it held all the grades. Now two schools turn into one which means about 600 kids JUST IN HIS GRADE! I'm so nervous for him :/ I am goin to have to get dh help I think on the first day.

Is he going to junior high too? My son only has 50 kids in his grade right now, and his new school is going to be so much bigger too. I have no idea how many students will be in 7th grade when he starts there, but I'm sure it'll be in the hundreds too. I'm also really worried how my son will adjust to that change--and the change of having different classes. Will your son be changing classes too?

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Quoting copgirl112:

My DD's junior high is 7th-9th grade. So she'll be going to the high school next fall if she doesn't get held back. She doesn't seem to really even be interested in going to high school. But still I'm forcing her to do her work because if she get's held back it will make it harder for her to heal.

I hope she makes it into high school. I remember your post about your daughter being depressed. Is she doing any better?

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Quoting Miranda1127:

congrats on getting his choice!

Thanks!!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting styler7:

is your area a school of choice?

In Minnesota your child can attend any school outside the district (called interdistrict choice). Charter schools are also available.

My son is going to an in-district school, but our district allows you to apply to any in-district school. Only certain programs provide transportation though, and my son choose to continue the language immersion magnet (which he took for elementary) into junior high. So he has transportation to junior high still through the district. The junior high also is an middle year IB school. If he continues either the IB program or the language immersion program, he will get busing still in HS to the HS that the program "feeds" into--which is not our neighborhood HS.

We looked at some different charter schools, but he decided he didn't want to go to any of those. I was concerned that none of those charter schools provided the right language class for his skill, and so I was happy with his choice. For high school, I'm less worried about him continuing the language he's spent the last 7 years being immersed in. I'm hoping he'll have a great grasp of it by then and will be truly bilingual. So we're going to look around at the options again in our area in less than two years.

Our neighborhood school is terrible, and my son is adamant that he does not want to go there.

vlester
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM

well we didn't register for classes but we registered for middle school. He graduates from elementary the 24th of may. But he got into an advanced middle school and I am glad because his other choices for middle school wasnt looking so good,lol. He is excited and a little nervous. I am just blah not ready for a 6th grader and definitely not a middle school student but i know they have to grow up but he is growing too fast. Our middle school is 6th-8th. And my son will continue to do band as his elective

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting vlester:

well we didn't register for classes but we registered for middle school. He graduates from elementary the 24th of may. But he got into an advanced middle school and I am glad because his other choices for middle school wasnt looking so good,lol. He is excited and a little nervous. I am just blah not ready for a 6th grader and definitely not a middle school student but i know they have to grow up but he is growing too fast. Our middle school is 6th-8th. And my son will continue to do band as his elective

Congrats on him getting into the advanced middle school (especially since the other choices didn't look good)!!!

I'm definitely not ready to have a middle school child either, but I guess there isn't much we can do about that, huh?

What instrument does he play?

vlester
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting vlester:

Congrats on him getting into the advanced middle school (especially since the other choices didn't look good)!!!

I'm definitely not ready to have a middle school child either, but I guess there isn't much we can do about that, huh?

What instrument does he play?

Thanks I am glad he was selected in the lottery to go. yea the other schools were so bad that I will be getting certified to teach middle school before the next school year begins. I have always be told i am good with kids and should have taught, so why not know since i am unemployed and looking.

He plays the trumpet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)