Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Cell Phones

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 28 Replies

What do you think of 10 year olds with cell phones?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhow
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Only if they can pay the bill.  Mine do.  One is 14 with a smart phone costs her about $100 a month and she earns the money to pay me.  Other kid is 11 and same with her, she doesn't not have a smart phone so her bill is cheaper but she earns the money and pays me.  They get one week past due, if I don't have the money it costs them and extra 5.  Only did that once.

Barabell
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I don't see the big deal for a basic cellphone. It's up to the parents to decide what works for their families, and with the absence of landlines in many households nowadays, it can be a good decision for some families.

SuperLooneyMom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Our sons are now 12/13 and my dh upgraded their phones thru metro pcs for $50 a month. And for touch screens and email I am okay with it. We did start them at 10 because of emerg purposes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3monkeys2love
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Our son got his at 10 because he and our 7 year old walk to school and there are times he has to stay for tutorials or choir practice. It's helpful that he can call me so I can go pick up the little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is pretty crazy. I don't get why a child needs One

kmh4girls
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM
My girls are 8, 6, 3, and 1, and dh and I agreed on cell phones for them somewhere in the age range of 10-12.
MONICALYNN83
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM

My son is 9 and i added him last year to my plan he also has texting i told him as long as he makes good grades and does his chores he can keep it . 

karisma22
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM

It depends on the child.  My daughter has had a cell phones since she was eight.  She is very active in sports and 4-H.  

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM
How do they earn the money?

Quoting bhow:

Only if they can pay the bill.  Mine do.  One is 14 with a smart phone costs her about $100 a month and she earns the money to pay me.  Other kid is 11 and same with her, she doesn't not have a smart phone so her bill is cheaper but she earns the money and pays me.  They get one week past due, if I don't have the money it costs them and extra 5.  Only did that once.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My rule.....as long as they are at an age that needs supervision by a teacher, parent, coach, or any adult...they don't need a cell. When they get to an age where they are not, I will give them a phone....no text or internet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN