Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Everyone disagrees with me.

My daughter Kaylee is 12 years old & dating a guy. To me, I think it's fine. All she does is hang out with him & do fun stuff together. My husband is so & so about it. He thinks she should be spending more time with friends then a boyfriend, which she already does! So, I talked to some of Kay's friend's moms to see what they think of her dating. They all disagreed. What's so bad about it? Why are people disagreeing with me? Post what you think, thanks. :)

Momma of 4 girls & expecting baby #5!!girl giving flowerpregnant belly

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Replies (231-240):
ssmiley4u
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Dating of any kind at that age is inappropriate, in my opinion. Sorry for the confusion. I jut meant that when dating does happen, I think I like the idea that it should be done in groups until considering marriage. Maybe that is a whole other post!

rkoloms
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:48 AM

When children start dating too young, they find themselves in sexual situations that they do not have the maturity to handle. You can't watch them every minute. Plenty of girls get pregnant at school, even at twelve or thirteen

LisaSmock
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:02 AM
I am a hypocrite (i lost my V at 13
and do mot regret it, but im a hoe and easy) ao i woud say too young
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElizabethGracie
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if 12 is too young to date or not,but I do know that you and your husband need to be on the same page when it comes to these types of issues.

EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM
bump

Hotpeden
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
At 12 kids should be focused on academics not boyfriends or girlfriends. Sex has been around forever they can wait for relationships
grannynd
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

It is her maturity that is important here more than her age. You know your daughter. I atarted dating my husband when I was 12. Married him 4 years later, we are still happily married (most of the time) 40 years later.

Jalestra
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

For all those "you'll be a grandma" and "so and so was dating when she was blah blah and she got pregnant"..I wasn't even allowed to date yet when I got pregnant. So really, dating has nothing to do with it. You don't have to date to get pregnant. I wasn't even allowed to have a boyfriend, and yet there I was, 15 and pregnant. When a teenager wants it, they will find a way. The best thing you can do is quit worrying about the "dating" aspect and just have the stupid sex conversation no one wants to have. Dating doesn't get you pregnant, sex does. Sex doesn't only happen at night, or in a bed, or in a car...it can and does happen EVERYWHERE at ANY time. I snuck off campus during lunches to be with my boyfriend. The fact that I wasn't supposed to have one just made him more awesome because I was pulling one over on my folks. Plus I was having the "dreaded" sex in the DAYtime alone with a boy in his room. I felt way smarter than my parents since they thought they'd covered all the bases and I was successfully yanking them all out from under them without them being the slightest bit aware. 

Kids are way smarter than you give them credit for. Better to just have the conversation with as much information as possible, set them up for responsibility, and nurture an honest relationship. That's the best way to insure they aren't coming home with an STD or a baby and leaving you to wondering how the hell that happened??????

krunchykorn
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Its no big deal!!! You should come to australia! 9 year olds are at the shop with there boyfriends! 12 is nothing IMO

gabygg
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM
My cousin was about 12 or 13 when she ran off with her boyfriend because she thought she was pregnant she came back home within a couple of weeks but she was definitely pregnant by the time she was 14.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)