Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Everyone disagrees with me.

My daughter Kaylee is 12 years old & dating a guy. To me, I think it's fine. All she does is hang out with him & do fun stuff together. My husband is so & so about it. He thinks she should be spending more time with friends then a boyfriend, which she already does! So, I talked to some of Kay's friend's moms to see what they think of her dating. They all disagreed. What's so bad about it? Why are people disagreeing with me? Post what you think, thanks. :)

Momma of 4 girls & expecting baby #5!!girl giving flowerpregnant belly

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
mylilprincesses
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM

umm... i can see alot of reasons not to maybe cause she just became a young woman... and her hormones are all crazy right now... she is still a child.... that she isn't old enough to make wise decisions yet..i hate to see what its like when my girls get older...

ac10
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM
6 moms liked this

I have a bassinet I could sell you.

shaj1286
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see an issue with her having a boyfriend, a lot of times at that age it's really just a name thing and nothing more than that. Most likely they will just end up being just really good friends. :) I still don't think I would let them be alone though, but I wouldn't limit it to just hanging out at school, especially if she is still talking/hanging out with her other friends.

kathypratt
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree with this. I think it totally depends on the girl, and only her mother knows how mature and trustworthy she is. Not all girls are having sex.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Holy f* ck. Get ready to be gramma.

ssmiley4u
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

First, what does the term "boyfriend" mean to you? To your husband? To your daughter? To you it could mean just hanging out. To your husband, it could mean kissing. To your DD it could mean being in the "in" crowd. Has anyone heard of Dr. Laura? She believes that dating one on one should be reserved for when you are considering marriage and any dating done prior to considering marriage should be done as a group.

I think is is very inappropriate to allow a 12 year old to be alone with a guy. Period. Obviously, this a value-based decision.

Why do they have to be boyfriend/girlfriend? Again, what does that mean? If they are just friends, then why can't the term friends be used?

I think the term boyfriend is used because it is seen as "cool" among peers to have a boyfriend. Who's value system is being promoted? Society's or is it more important to do the right thing? ...maybe society's value system lines up with what's going on. Then there really is no conflict here.

laurenb110
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I think it is ok. I had a lot of friends who where boys and we did things together.

JocelynsMama1
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

12 years old is...what? around 6th grade? having a boyfriend at the age is perfectly normal and fine...now the dating itself is a lil iffy and depends with me...I would be fine dropping my daughter at the movies and picking her back up...and i would be fine having him over to my house in the family area (i was never allowed to have boys in my room) but i would be fine with it as a parent as lon as the bedroom door remained all the way open...o and how old is the boy? can u tell us what kind of dates and alone time they have together?

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM
3 moms liked this

She should be a kid-There will be plenty of time for her to date in her teens and twenties.

Don't fool yourself mom-if they decide they want to be sexually active-and you're not in sight-they'll make a way for it to happen.

rinaann
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

i dont know why everyone thinks group dating is any better

in all honesty much more happened between people while on group dates than on one on one dates

Quoting ssmiley4u:

First, what does the term "boyfriend" mean to you? To your husband? To your daughter? To you it could mean just hanging out. To your husband, it could mean kissing. To your DD it could mean being in the "in" crowd. Has anyone heard of Dr. Laura? She believes that dating one on one should be reserved for when you are considering marriage and any dating done prior to considering marriage should be done as a group.

I think is is very inappropriate to allow a 12 year old to be alone with a guy. Period. Obviously, this a value-based decision.

Why do they have to be boyfriend/girlfriend? Again, what does that mean? If they are just friends, then why can't the term friends be used?

I think the term boyfriend is used because it is seen as "cool" among peers to have a boyfriend. Who's value system is being promoted? Society's or is it more important to do the right thing? ...maybe society's value system lines up with what's going on. Then there really is no conflict here.

JocelynsMama1
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My brother in law lost is virginity at 14 at the highschool after band practice...it can happen anywhere...talk about shockin to me!

Quoting Racer15:

12 is too young for stuff like that.  My mom let my brother have a girlfriend at 14 although she wasn't happy about it.  Apparently her parents let them go off together for bits of time...yeaaaaah, he confessed to me a few months ago that they had sex.  Kid lost his virginity at 14, lucky he didn't knock her up.  No child of mine is doing that kind of thing till they are at least 15.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN