Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What to get him?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 18 Replies

My oldest DS is turning 13 in July.  I realize that's a few months away, but I'm starting to think now about what to get him and I'm coming up empty.

He's always in desperate need of clothes because he has grown out of them as quickly as we buy them (getting pretty tall) but usually his extended family (4 grandparents, 4 uncles + families) get him clothes.  We usually get him the "fun" stuff - and he's not yet at the age that he thinks clothes are "fun".

He has some electronics (portable DVD player, MP3 player, cell phone, netbook, DS) as well as video game systems for family use (Wii, PS2, computer games).

I intend to get all three boys a Kindle or Nook for Christmas, so don't want to get him that now.

When I ask him what he wants, he just says "I don't know".

He is involved in Cross Country and Track at school as well as band.  He loves to read, draw, and listen to music (his MP3 player will have to do as we can't really afford an iPod).

So - any suggestions?  I'm really clueless on this.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I got mine a bike. He needed a new one anyway. You could also get him a gift card to a music store or something, some drawing supplies, gift card to a book store, art store, etc. Gift cards are good at this age because they are more "grown up" gifts, but the kid can still get what they want. Even a visa gift card that can be used anywhere would be good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Thanks.  I was thinking of gift cards, but wanted something a bit more interesting for him to open and use right away as well.  He has a nice bike we bought him and then both he and his brother won a new bike last year (at a drawing at the races, 2 of the 3 winners were my kids - weird!).

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
What about a watch and wallet? or some type of art book? I got my 13 year old a book about how to draw and organize comics. He really likes it. Or maybe just some new games for the game systems? A puppy? Lol idk. Boys can be really tough to buy for! Girls are easy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I like some of the other suggestions. Boys are always hard to shop for so I always listen really close to what mine talk about to their friends and each other. Mine are younger so I have no clue what 13 year olds like. Good luck is all I can say:)

mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Clothes isn't the fun stuff b/c usually what you get isn't what you would pick out for yourself.

How about MONEY!!!!   That is all my nieces and nephews want. Good 'ole cash to spend (or save).

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:26 AM

LOL - I keep hearing that boys are tough to buy for and girls are easy - but I have THREE boys and NO girls, so I'm sooo out of luck!  

He has a nice leather wallet I got him last year since he was heading to Junior High this school year and he no longer wanted a velcro one.  I've bought him three watches over the years - all of which he broke within a month.  GRRR.  

I could look into art books - or (maybe this is stupid??  tell me if it is) he has an entire notebook full of illustrated stories he's done...maybe find a website to send it to and get it bound into a 'real' book?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quoting Zamaria:

What about a watch and wallet? or some type of art book? I got my 13 year old a book about how to draw and organize comics. He really likes it. Or maybe just some new games for the game systems? A puppy? Lol idk. Boys can be really tough to buy for! Girls are easy!

mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting the3Rs:

LOL - I keep hearing that boys are tough to buy for and girls are easy - but I have THREE boys and NO girls, so I'm sooo out of luck!  

He has a nice leather wallet I got him last year since he was heading to Junior High this school year and he no longer wanted a velcro one.  I've bought him three watches over the years - all of which he broke within a month.  GRRR.  

I could look into art books - or (maybe this is stupid??  tell me if it is) he has an entire notebook full of illustrated stories he's done...maybe find a website to send it to and get it bound into a 'real' book?

Quoting Zamaria:

I LOVE the book idea. You can do that on shutterfly by snapping photos of his illustrations and then adding the wording. It wouldn't even cost you a lot.  I like shutterfly b/c it allows you to compose the page anyway you like versus a lot of the other photobook sites that dump the photos in your layouts. Shutterfly can do that too if you want it, but at least you have the option. Shutterfly also allows you to use a photo as a background. I have done that too, and then put words on top and other photos on top of the photo background.

You just have to play around with it. Once you get the idea, it is easy to work with.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I love the book idea too! I think I would scan the illustrations instead of snapping pics of them though, if you can do it that way. I think would be a really great gift!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I have three boys and no girls too! Lol! You should definately do the book thing. He would love it!

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting Zamaria:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabbyD
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I also have 3 boys, lol.

My 12yo always looks at the best buy sale paper and talks and talks and talks and talks about some cool headphones, lol. I think they're ' Beats' by Dr. Dre. Since your son likes music maybe he'll like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)