Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Calling kids names...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
  • 27 Replies

Is this the norm? Do parents find that it is okay to do this? I am asking because I see post referring to kids as brats, little snots and such and I am just amazed. I grew up in an abusive household where I was often called names and in our house no one is allowed to call anyone names at all- I never refer to my kids as anything like this because I know that it can damage their self-esteem big time. What is your view.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT WHEN A PARENT JOKES WITH A CHILD.

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MB13
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Venting to a group of adults about your kid being bratty or  a snot is a normal stress release.  However, if you are calling your children such names to their face and belittling them, that is a form of abuse.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I agree that venting to adults is different, but in my life experience (not saying that this is true to all) what an adult says to other adults is usually tame and mild compared to how they are in their own homes. It could just be because of the type of home that I was raised in that I feel that way though.

Quoting MB13:

Venting to a group of adults about your kid being bratty or  a snot is a normal stress release.  However, if you are calling your children such names to their face and belittling them, that is a form of abuse.

MB13
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I'm sorry you had a negative experience.  I can see why you are so sensitive about it.

Quoting psych_mom:

I agree that venting to adults is different, but in my life experience (not saying that this is true to all) what an adult says to other adults is usually tame and mild compared to how they are in their own homes. It could just be because of the type of home that I was raised in that I feel that way though.

Quoting MB13:

chazzamatazz
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

My mom referred to us kids as "brat" but she was just using it as a strange term of endearment. (Never used it when she was angry, just when she was trying to get our attention)  I tried telling her that it was a negative term and it might make her kids feel bad, but she didn't see anything wrong with it.

As for me, I call my girls "Stink Bug" when they're being crabby. That's about it.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Well I call ours in a laughing way punks, and our oldest called her younger brother bubba, and then his younger sister called him bubba butt.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I've told them they are being brats. When acting up some, I've called them little bogers. And then they were babies and needed a diaper change, I called them stink bugs. I've never called them a derogatory name in anger, however.

vixen42
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this

It is one thing too tell your kid you are acting like a brat another too call them that

Courtnut
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I call kids snots and brats all the time.

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Ummm....no not ok! My mom always tells me remember when your child does something bad YOU created that monster and any names you call them just make one twice as bad for yourself.lol

KristinawithaK
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You classify "brat" as abuse? Someone call cps on me. I let my kids know if they're being. little turds/monsters/obnoxious/punks. I also ask them which one of them wants to get beat first. They point at each other and laugh. My kids know I love them more than anything in the world. They also know that i say things like that to get their attention and that's how they know they're one word away from reprimanding.
Kids are mean enough. My kids know that i would never call them names to be hurtful. But I also want them to be able to take a joke. And take a little guff and know how to dish it back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN