Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Am I the last mom on earth?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM
  • 33 Replies
4 moms liked this

That uses discipline and knows that I am the adult? I mean really if my child demanded something he would know he was going to be grounded till he was 40!
 I am barb I home school my son and he has autism he is 12 I think that is a tween and his mental age is 7 so there you go.

My son is picky to a point he has touch issues so clothing needs to be soft and food can not be icky like bananas. But I could not imagine a world where he told me he wanted a pair of $150.00 shoes or a dinner where it cost me $100.00 unless it was for his birthday and he had 8 friends!

Again I just don't get it! Is it just me? When did we become our kids friends and not the parent? Am I the last mom that takes her kid to go feed the homeless? Shops at thrift stores and bakes with her kid? Am I just a crazy hippie? I mean that is the way I was raised! So were my parents we were taught to RESPECT our parents.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this
No, you're not. My kids respect me, they very seldom get treated to any meal from a restaurant, they have never asked for shoes that cost $150, and although we get along well they know that my #1 job is to be their mom, not their friend. I'm not here to make them happy, I'm here to teach them about life, to make sure they can function once they no longer live under my roof. My kids know how much they are loved, but they also know that I don't put up with them without me having to go broke in the process.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
achorney
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a single mom, go to school full time, and own a struggling business.

My son knows I'm the boss around here. He also knows where the money comes from and what priorities are. He's 11. We get along well, but we know that at the end of the day, i'll never be his friend, I'll be his mom.

momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:48 AM

No you aren't my children still respect me as most are grown. They call and ask my advice on things. The older ones have said thank you for raising them right as they have seen friends who they envied for being allowed to do or have what ever they wanted to do grow up and end up in Jail.(so sad) That is where a lot of today's generation is headed the way I see it.I'm glad I am strict. LOLclapping

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I don't get it either! My kids better yes sir not sir everyone(or ma'am) You clean your room or I dontate your toys. And shoes lol I have NEVER spent more then $30 on their shoes and nor will I! And I agree bananas are icky ;O) I totally have texture issues with food.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I can do bananas but I too have texture issues with foods, even if they taste yummy, if they have a certain texture they make me feel sick, like oat meal... but I also have them with clothes and other things, wonder if I would have been one of those kids that would have been diagnosed with a sensory disorder had they diagnosed kids with those in the 80's.

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

I don't get it either! My kids better yes sir not sir everyone(or ma'am) You clean your room or I dontate your toys. And shoes lol I have NEVER spent more then $30 on their shoes and nor will I! And I agree bananas are icky ;O) I totally have texture issues with food.

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I'd likely been diagnosed with something to.lol I actually like oatmeal. But I can't do bananas, tomatoes, strawberries,and yeah so much more.lol My mom tells me it is all in my head which maybe it is but even as an adult I can't do it. Now I can make a smoothie and put bananas and strawberries in and love it. And I eat like every product made with tomatoes.lol

Quoting psych_mom:

I can do bananas but I too have texture issues with foods, even if they taste yummy, if they have a certain texture they make me feel sick, like oat meal... but I also have them with clothes and other things, wonder if I would have been one of those kids that would have been diagnosed with a sensory disorder had they diagnosed kids with those in the 80's.

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

psych_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

See when we were kids it was all in our heads, but now there are real disorders, and with my fibro, certain textures actually rubbing on my skin causes me pain. I wonder if scensory disorders and fibro are related because they both have to do with nerves...

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

I'd likely been diagnosed with something to.lol I actually like oatmeal. But I can't do bananas, tomatoes, strawberries,and yeah so much more.lol My mom tells me it is all in my head which maybe it is but even as an adult I can't do it. Now I can make a smoothie and put bananas and strawberries in and love it. And I eat like every product made with tomatoes.lol

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

christina259
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats exactly how it should be. I think its all about balance though. Not going too strict one way or too unstrict the other way. The kids should be allowed to have feelings and express themselves too but it must be done in a respectful way and not having everything they want is actually good for them imo. Sounds like you have that down. Keep up the good work. In the old days they may have carried the old saying "kids are meant to be spoken to and not heard" a little too far especially when the parents themselves are you know whats or things ended up getting into the abusive territory. Then the following generations carried it too far the opposite way because they refused to treat thier kids how they were treated. Then you end up with spoiled kids and thats the minor end of the troubles they have. Maybe with this generation we can strike that balance. Parenting isn't easy. Sometimes I hope I'm getting it just  right too.

christina259
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

See when we were kids it was all in our heads, but now there are real disorders, and with my fibro, certain textures actually rubbing on my skin causes me pain. I wonder if scensory disorders and fibro are related because they both have to do with nerves...

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

Exactly, as the adult we have to be able to judge when to consider things like this. If my child had autism, he/she definitely wouldn't be getting forced to do things that served no other purpose for them than to make them more miserable. Even we adults have things we don't like.  I do allow my child to push the tomatoes to the side in the plate as long as she eats an alternative veggie. I was force fed okra when I was little and guess what it ended up all over the kitchen floor and the table when I threw it up. To this day you can't force me to eat that stuff. But if my child (having no underlying condition and being of appropriate age to know better) were to throw a fit in the store or a restaurant you bet your sweet butt they know they are in for it.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My son wanted those TOMS shoes you buy a pair a pair goes to a kid well he scrimped and saved he did his recycling, extra chores and almost has his half $35.00 now I am okay with buying these shoes first of all he saved half that was the deal and second he is buying them so another child gets shoes!

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN