Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

eye exam does your child wear glasses?

Posted by   + Show Post

so took dd Saturday for her yearly eye exam and again her eyes are getting worse she seeing 20/50 vision her right eye went up 3 clicks again and the left about a 1, every year seems her eyes are getting worse so now we have to buy her new lenses and this year frames since she used the same frames for 3 years and is out growing them, I hope her eyes balance out the doctor said its hormone related and she has sensitive to light so she has to have prescription sunglasses since her pupils stay big. Is there any frames you like best from pre teens, I am not going to spend a bunch of money on stylish frames since she is hell on glasses and while playing in PE she tends to get kicked with a ball and hit in the face and has bent her other frames a few times in dodge ball.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

My 12yo son has worn glasses for almost 2 years...he chose metal frames from the men's section.

This pic is him & me...It's from last summer...he looks so much older and TALLER now!! Been a year of growth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Both of my children need and wear glasses. My son for distance. My son seems to need a new script every year. Likely because he rarely wears them.

My daughter for both. She's far sited in one eye and near in the other. My daughter just got hers a few months back so we shall see next year.

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM
No his vision is good! He had several eye exams I think he was trying to get glasses. But he has 20/20.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allwritenow
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM

My youngest (now 10) has amblyopia and has worn glasses since he was two. His eyes get better each year, but he still has to wear the glasses. My oldest (14) has worn glasses since 3rd grade, but he has stopped wearing them because he can't get used to his prescription. And my daughter (12) has worn glasses for a year for distance. Her prescription will get stronger each year until she is done growing. I have worn glasses (well, contacts for the past 30 years) since I was 9, and my prescription changed every year until I was about 18. It hasn't changed in years, though now my near vision is going downhill (fast!).

I have always purchased Flexon frames for my youngest because if I don't they spend more time broken than not. He was VERY hard on his glasses, especially at 3 and 4. He's getting better now, but I still get Flexon. They are a little pricey, but they are TOUGH! The other two get the cheap frames because they don't break them every other week. sunglasses mini

STKsMomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM
My youngest was two when we had hers checked for the first time. They showed her like 5 different pictures, a bird, a hand, a truck, a cake, and the sun. And had her tell them what they were then they did the eye exam like normal. That way they knew what she called things first. Worked out pretty well.

Quoting BeingMom:

Madi too.  Price is a big deal for are family as well.  WE went to pearl vision and they had 40% off all the frames.   We have insurance on eyes as well, we just got it this year, and I was glad. WE only pay 26$ a month for it,and we have already saved $500 this year on having to get new glasses and exams for both her and I.  We ended up getting her frames for 99$ anthey were originally around 190$.  I am thinking of taking my son soon too, but not really sure if 3 is too young.  How would they even do an eye exam on him.  He doesnt know all of his letters yet.  My husband has great vision so maybe he will take after his dad.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeingMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Thanks for the info. :)

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

They cost a little more, but you can get flexible frames. They have some give to them and can bend/twist a little; maybe they would hold up a little longer. 

Ds1 has worn glasses for 3 yrs (since he was 4th gr, he's 7th now); we've been lucky and he's treated his well.

Ds2 has worn them for 2 yrs (since kindy, he's 2nd gr now). He's a bit rougher on them- w/ his first prescription, we went through 3 frames. He's only had his new ones w/ updated prescription for a couple months and so far so good : ) Our insurance covers one replacement pair; any more than that and he's stuck w/ the cheaper frames.

We get all their glasses at Walmart.

cleanmoss
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM

the flexible is what she has had for 3 years since she hates change and never wanted to try any other on up until now since she is growing up. I know its $59.00 for lens and at the time when I bought hers it was buy one frame and get the second frame free but that second one she picked out she never end up using. I am happy to get at least 2 years use of glasses for her since they do change so much.

styler7
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
None of us wear glasses although my daughter wishes she did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanmoss
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

she always says she hates wearing glasses and look better in contacts but since she is the child who wont take time to put them in and out and keep them clean, I am not wasting my money, I told her the same thing when she starts being more responsible that I even let her get her ears pierced but I know how she is already and she wouldn't keep cleaning and turning them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)