Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Swimsuit for 12 year old

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:33 AM
  • 43 Replies

My dd is 12.  I refuse to let her wear a bikini (which is her first choice) but we compromised with this suit.  I like that it's a tankini style but I'm on the fence about the top.  So, I wanted some other moms opinions.  Her's in bright pink and the bottom is a regular bikini bottom with a bright colorful design in front and a zebra design in back.  The top goes almost to her belly button and is a complete in the back.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:47 AM

It's a little more grown up than I'd prefer for my DD but I don't think it's inappropriate at all

psych_mom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:58 AM
I think it's cute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Michele-w3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Quoting auroragold:

It's a little more grown up than I'd prefer for my DD but I don't think it's inappropriate at all

I think that's the problem I'm having with it is that it's a little too grown up for her.  However, she's 5'5" (maybe a bit taller now) and wears a size 5 in woman's clothes.  She doesn't fit into the childrens or juniors clothes.  She has an adult sized body.  She is very curvy and we're having a hard time finding something that covers her enough. 

zombimomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

If it makes you both more comfortable, may I suggest sewing a few stitches to the close the front V a bit? I think it's very pretty, but if she's developing it would add some modesty to the top without detracting from the design. (my mom did that for my clothes - I was a C cup by age 12). If she needs the space that the V allows, perhaps an applique sewn on.

MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its fine personally I wore thinks lilke this at 12/13, and never had aproblem. As long as she carries her self like a young lady then it should be ok:O)

bdlp
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I have also had a hard time with finding a swimsuit for my 12 year old daughter.  We have looked everywhere...There is no in between form little girls to ladies.  I really wish that there was a company that would make a suit for this age(that actually gives them appropriate coverage). At this point we are completely frustrated. I feel like they already have to grow up too fast...

Maevelyn
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

She's showing as much cleavage in this as a bikini. Some how this seems more grown up to me than a two piece and I let my 6 year old wear them (bikini would be an overstatement with her suit it's pretty conservative.) IMO it's all about cut and sometime showing less of what not super sexual (belly in this case) can make what you do show more adult (think a long black dress with a conservative top and a high slit. The slit gets all the attention!)

L1558
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting Michele-w3:

Quoting auroragold:

I think that's the problem I'm having with it is that it's a little too grown up for her.  However, she's 5'5" (maybe a bit taller now) and wears a size 5 in woman's clothes.  She doesn't fit into the childrens or juniors clothes.  She has an adult sized body.  She is very curvy and we're having a hard time finding something that covers her enough. 

I'm having the same issues. Mine's 12 and same body type...about 5'4" and 110 lbs, 34A-B. 

I have no problem with a bikini per se, but so many of them are stringy things, instead of a cute design with like a sport bra top and boy shorts....I don't feel she's ready for the 17 y/o type styles, or the matronly woman styles, but she doesn't fit child styles, and she's not built like a little kid. DD prefers tankinis or one-pieces she doesn't have to fool with, though-- she's athletic build and very function-oriented, lol!! But she wants neon colors or interesting design instead of super-girly...Who knows where to find this!

I like the one you pictured!  

L1558
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL yall should see what my super-conservative dad brought home for me when I was 11/12....LOL!!!
Dad was all about a sale. I ended up with a neon pink and yellow/orange print bandeau (tube top) and bikini bottoms that tied on the side. All he saw was a bargain! Mom thought she was helping by mandating that little halter string so my top wouldn't slide down....I wonder what they would think now (this was 1991)... 

Michele-w3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM

She's a B cup so the top covers her, but she's always worn a sports bra looking top so it was like a tank top.  This year it seems all the suits have very defined cup areas.  And most are string bikini's which I'm thrilled to say she refused to even look at.  This one was the most modest while still very girly.  She loves the bright colors and zebra print on the back.  She's also very concerned about the top coming up when she jumps in the pool (happened last year) and this one is adjustable so she can tie down the top really well and not worry about that happening.

I guess I'm just having a hard time with my little girl growing up.  I want her to stay in childrens clothing and she can't.  Like pp said, I wish there was a better in-between line of clothing for girls would have woman's bodies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN