Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

New here. Need some advice.

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am the mother of a very whiney 10 year old. I don't know what to do with him anymore. He's showing signs of starting into puberty, like getting some fine hair on his legs and arm pits. I'm assuming he's getting hair "other" places too but I've not asked and he's not said anything about it. Anyway, I want to ask if you all think he's too young to start getting himself up and ready for school in the morning? I set my alarm every morning. I go to his room (he shares with his 8 year old brother). I tell them that it's time to get up and the fight starts. He will lay there and moan and groan about not wanting to get up. He refuses to get his own clothes. I've even tried to get him to lay them out the night before but he won't do that either. So I usually end up getting his clothes and giving them to him, finding his shoes, finding his back pack, etc. If I don't, he will miss the bus and we just don't have the money to be running the kids to school every morning. What can I do to encourage him to get on the ball in the mornings? He's also bad about not wanting to go to bed at night....

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyldbutterfly
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:43 AM

What time does he actually fall to sleep?

From your post that seems to be his problem with waking up.And to answer your first question. Yes, I think he's old enough to wake on his own to an alarm.

I know if I don't get enough sleep, I'm miserable.

auroragold
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Age 10? HECK YEAH!

DD has to get all of her stuff ready the night before. Period.

She is responsible for setting her alarm and getting up. Mind you that doesn't mean it's easy or that she's little Mary Sunshine every morning. But her failure to be responsible for herself leads to consequences

kymom23
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I always make the kids get in the bed at 9pm. Sometimes he's asleep by 9:10, sometimes he's asleep by 10pm. I have threatened making him go to bed at 8pm, but I don't think it would do any good.

Right this very second: He's still laying on the bed.... I woke him up at 6am. Been hollaring at him for almost an hour for him to get up and get him some clothes. The bus runs anywhere between 7:15-7:20. It's like this EVERY morning!! I get so tired of hollaring at him to get up, get dressed, get your socks and shoes on, find your backpack....... *sigh*

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

From your post that seems to be his problem with waking up.And to answer your first question. Yes, I think he's old enough to wake on his own to an alarm.

kmjmlj
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM
It wouldn't be an option at my house that is too old not to be able to do those things my 5 year old does all that on her own even making her bed before exiting her room
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmjmlj
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM
One day don't fight when he misses the bus the 2 of walk to school no matter the distance tell him we will do this daily till you pull your act together
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2klca
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I know what this is like and it is very frustrating! My 12 yr old dd does it. Yesterday, I took away all of her electronics privleges for the day b/c she would not get out of bed. The funny thing is, it is not everyday. She has days when she gets up and ready on her own. It sounds like your son is just not taking you seriously when you tell him to get up. You should have a talk with him about what you expect from him in the morning, but make sure you do it at another time of the day when he is in an OK mood. Make sure he knows exactly what his responsibilities are and what the consequence will be if he does not take care of those responsibilities. I tell my dd that if she is not out of her bed and getting ready by 7am, I take away her ipod for the day. If she still does not listen (like yesterday), she has no privleges(tv, computer, phone etc) for the day. Also, give him some input about his routine. For example, ask him if he would rather take his clothes out the night before or get them out in the morning. Just be very clear that you expect him to do it and be consistent b/c he will probably not want to listen to you at first. Hope this helps. Good luck:)

extremelibrary
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Sounds kind of like my son. Have to yell at him a bunch of times to wake up and get dressed before the bus gets him.

Wyldbutterfly
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I wouldn't hollar at him anymore. It's obviously not getting you anywhere other than repeating yourself and getting agitated. It's time to give him a punishment. Something he would miss greatly. Either that or if you wanna get him out of bed real quick...try a glass of ice cold water ;)

Quoting kymom23:

I always make the kids get in the bed at 9pm. Sometimes he's asleep by 9:10, sometimes he's asleep by 10pm. I have threatened making him go to bed at 8pm, but I don't think it would do any good.

Right this very second: He's still laying on the bed.... I woke him up at 6am. Been hollaring at him for almost an hour for him to get up and get him some clothes. The bus runs anywhere between 7:15-7:20. It's like this EVERY morning!! I get so tired of hollaring at him to get up, get dressed, get your socks and shoes on, find your backpack....... *sigh*

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Welcome to the group!

I agree with Auroragold's comment that your son is old enough to be responsible, and he should face serious consequences if he doesn't get ready in time.

kymom23
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I have seriously considered throwing some ice water on him!! lol

This morning, he did miss the bus but I took him anyway because they are doing state testing. School is out on the 16th here. What I have considered and I will use this: we have a Cub Scout campout on the 18th. From now until the end of school, if I have anymore trouble getting him up and him getting ready, I will keep him from going on the campout.

Does that sound good? It's not like I'm a first time mama or anything, but my daughter never gave me this kind of trouble with her getting up for school. I never had to think of ways to get her motivated. lol

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I wouldn't hollar at him anymore. It's obviously not getting you anywhere other than repeating yourself and getting agitated. It's time to give him a punishment. Something he would miss greatly. Either that or if you wanna get him out of bed real quick...try a glass of ice cold water ;)

Quoting kymom23:

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)