Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would you let your tween go? **EDIT - UPDATE in RED**

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 65 Replies

For a little background, my son and his friend--let's say "M"--have been friends for almost 5 years now. My son will usually spend one or two nights a month over at M's house, and my son has also gone on two weekends trips with M out of town. My son is 12, and M is 10.

Earlier this week, M was at our house, and he said he wanted my son to go to a paintball contest with him next weekend. His older brother (currently 16 or 17 and is not going this year) has gone the last two years, but M has never gone before. I asked for more information about it, and M told me that his dad was willing to take my son and M camping the day before the contest. His dad is not participating in the contest, and M said the dad would "check in occasionally" with the two kids. My response was that we might already have plans this upcoming weekend, but I'll look into it more.

The existing plans fell through, and my son kept telling he wanted to do this paintball thing. So I had him call M and get the website information. This is a summary of some of the rules:

- The organizers consider paintball an "honor" sport, but then they offer a prize of a couple thousand for this competition.

- Over 600 people will be in the event.

- No ages listed in the rules.

- At least two webpages pages said things like: no knives, no traps, no alcohol, no drugs.

So after looking at that website, do you think your tween would still want to go?

Would you let your tween go to a paintball competition like this? Why or why not?

Update: I realized today that I never updated you. I asked my son that Friday night what the status was with the invite. He told me that he told M's parents no because he would have to lie about his age, and he's not comfortable doing that. I guess there was 13 and older age requirement that I couldn't find on the website, and my son was unwilling to lie. I wouldn't have signed a consent form either with false information like that anyhow.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christi34
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I would look into it more. It sounds like this for older teens and not tweens and may include some adults. 

Barabell
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Quoting christi34:

I would look into it more. It sounds like this for older teens and not tweens and may include some adults. 

No age range on the website. With it having over 600 participatants, I'm sure the event is more geared at adults. Period.

christi34
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

If i wasn't going i wouldn't feel comfortable letting my child go even if you do know the dad that is taking them. You said he wasn't going to be participating so I would say no, not this year.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting christi34:

No age range on the website. With it having over 600 participatants, I'm sure the event is more geared at adults. Period.

vale131
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I think it would be fine. All events are going to say no weapons, alchohol, etc.

He has to get "in the mix" sometime (if he hasnt already) with older kids if that is what you are concerned about.

The only thing I would be concerned about is how many adults will be there to supervise? Or is it the adults that would be in the competition that would "supervise"?

I think my son would still love to go. He would have the sense to back off and watch from the sideline if he felt like it was too much for him.

crabbyD
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

My dh loves going to paintball and he's been wanting to take my son who's 12yo.  The place where my dh goes does have an age restriction stating that you have to be 12 years or older.  My son really wants to go too, but I'm afraid he'll get hurt.  He fully knows that paintballing entails plus he's a big kid and is still willing to go.... That being said they haven't gone yet, but I'd still worry about injuries... than again if he fully knows what's the deal then all bets are off.  I'll just be praying that he doesn't get hit in the belly or anywhere else!  Boys are something else....

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, too many people, the rules/guidelines are sketchy and lack of supervision from M's Dad if he is just going to "check in occasionally" so my answer would be a strong NO.  

angelbaby1977
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as there is complete adult supervision I would be fine with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
If the dad would be with them the whole time I would say yes, but since he's not, I wouldn't be okay with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I wouldn't be ok with it either, especially since there are no age restrictions listed and some of the rules make it seem like it is geared towards adults.  I doubt that there would be any supervision at all if it isn't a kids event.  Adults rarely supervise each other.

emilyrosenj
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM
No I wouldn't if I had to search for info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN