Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

S/O: Which do you prefer...to be young parent or older?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: When thinking about having kids, what was/is your preference....

Options:

To be a parent between 18-25

To be a parent between 26-34

To be a parent 35+

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

This is a spinoff to my post about my cousing being a really young grandfather.

When thinking about having kids, what was/is your preference in age to have children?

Why?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I said between 26-34.  I personally didn't want to be too young because I wanted to go to college, get my master's degree, start a career, and live by myself for a little while before i started having children.  I had my 1st daugther 5 days before I turned 28.  Honestly, it was not a planned pregnancy and I probably would have waited until I was 30.  I ended up having my twins at 30.

Roo1234
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I never planned on having kids.  I had three between 30-36.  

Frankly, I cannot imagine myself as a young(er) mother.  What I might lack in stamina (although I would argue I have an equal amount of enery) I make up for in patience, maturity, and a lack of regrets and "what ifs".  

I know plenty of parent my age so I've never felt like I stood out either.

Mrs.walshmn
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I had my first child at 18 and my last right after my 25th birthday. None where planned but the timing was right. I cant think of my life without my kids being there with me when they where...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Roo1234:

Frankly, I cannot imagine myself as a young(er) mother.  What I might lack in stamina (although I would argue I have an equal amount of enery) I make up for in patience, maturity, and a lack of regrets and "what ifs".  

I agree....I also feel like I am making better decisions as well because of the experiences i have had.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I was 21 when my son was born, and I'm really happy with being a parent at that age. I wouldn't change anything about it.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Quoting Roo1234:

I don't feel like I lacked any of those things as a parent, and I had my son in my early 20s.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting Roo1234:

I don't feel like I lacked any of those things as a parent, and I had my son in my early 20s.

I know that i would have had "what ifs" because i was still finishing undergrad at 21 and then immediately wento graduate school.  I probably wouldn't have gone on to graduate school at the time that I did or at all if I had a child.  Also, i think i was still trying to figure myself out because I was in a relationship from 16-22 that was more about him than me.  I needed that time to figure out me.

-KJ
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Exactly this!

Quoting Mrs.walshmn:

I had my first child at 18 and my last right after my 25th birthday. None where planned but the timing was right. I cant think of my life without my kids being there with me when they where...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
styler7
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest kids were born when I was almost 19 and almost 20.
My youngest kids were born in my 30's.
In my opinion, parenting is much more rewarding at the older age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting styler7:

My oldest kids were born when I was almost 19 and almost 20.
My youngest kids were born in my 30's.
In my opinion, parenting is much more rewarding at the older age.

Can you tell us the difference you feel like you experienced?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)