Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I may be going overboard?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am thinking of throwing my 11 year old a little party for finishing the 5th grade and moving into elementary school. And when I say thinking of doing it, I mean that I have invited the guest and I am planning out the cake that I am going to make and everything. He has worked hard, kept up his grades and done really great despite having to deal with his dad and I divorcing, both of us remarrying, his dad having a kid with his step-mom, and then having to deal with some major issues with his step-mom that have just gotten harder as the years have gone by. I want him to know that we are proud of him, as does his step-dad and grandparents, but I don't want to go too overboard either. I will do the same for my other two kids at this point in their lives because they have had to deal with the same things through out the years, but they were not as old as odest ds and they don't remember everything, such as the divorce, as clearly. The guest list consist of his grandparents on both sides and his dad and step-mom. I just wanted it to be small and the people that love him the most in life, although I am sure that one person will not be here.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STKsMomma
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Since you seem to be keeping it small, I think it is fine. Who won't be there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Stacy on May. 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Probably the step-mom. She doesn't like me although I am always nice and polite to her and she doesn't like my kids very much.

Quoting STKsMomma:

STKsMomma
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Wow! She should have thought of that before marrying somone with kids. Sorry your kids have to deal with that.

Quoting psych_mom:

Probably the step-mom. She doesn't like me although I am always nice and polite to her and she doesn't like my kids very much.

Quoting STKsMomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

GO FOR IT!

psych_mom
by Stacy on May. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Thank you and I agree.

Quoting STKsMomma:

Wow! She should have thought of that before marrying somone with kids. Sorry your kids have to deal with that.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting STKsMomma:

Madammeke
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Not at all, every effort should be appreciated and cellebrated. I give an end of school year party I our yard every year, just the pool, burgers and soda and they all go wild. I also use that moment to talk about my expectations for the coming year and children tell me , remember mrs. V. You told me last year and I did......

Go for it.
SassyLeigh
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM
That sounds like a great idea! I'm sure he will really enjoy it!!

Quoting psych_mom:

I am thinking of throwing my 11 year old a little party for finishing the 5th grade and moving into elementary school. And when I say thinking of doing it, I mean that I have invited the guest and I am planning out the cake that I am going to make and everything. He has worked hard, kept up his grades and done really great despite having to deal with his dad and I divorcing, both of us remarrying, his dad having a kid with his step-mom, and then having to deal with some major issues with his step-mom that have just gotten harder as the years have gone by. I want him to know that we are proud of him, as does his step-dad and grandparents, but I don't want to go too overboard either. I will do the same for my other two kids at this point in their lives because they have had to deal with the same things through out the years, but they were not as old as odest ds and they don't remember everything, such as the divorce, as clearly. The guest list consist of his grandparents on both sides and his dad and step-mom. I just wanted it to be small and the people that love him the most in life, although I am sure that one person will not be here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Stacy on May. 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

This is our first year having a yard in a long time and I am glad that I can do this for him. He has no clue that we are planning it. We are even giving him some gifts to show him that we are proud of him. My husband decided that he needs a wallet since he is getting older and will be making more money doing big kid chores such as mowing the lawn.

Quoting Madammeke:

Not at all, every effort should be appreciated and cellebrated. I give an end of school year party I our yard every year, just the pool, burgers and soda and they all go wild. I also use that moment to talk about my expectations for the coming year and children tell me , remember mrs. V. You told me last year and I did......

Go for it.

psych_mom
by Stacy on May. 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I think that he will... any reason to celebrate him, right? lol. Kids love to be in the spotlight.

Quoting SassyLeigh:

That sounds like a great idea! I'm sure he will really enjoy it!!

Quoting psych_mom:

Madammeke
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting psych_mom:

You sound like wonderful supporting parents. Refreshing to read.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)