Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do you think I may be going overboard?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am thinking of throwing my 11 year old a little party for finishing the 5th grade and moving into elementary school. And when I say thinking of doing it, I mean that I have invited the guest and I am planning out the cake that I am going to make and everything. He has worked hard, kept up his grades and done really great despite having to deal with his dad and I divorcing, both of us remarrying, his dad having a kid with his step-mom, and then having to deal with some major issues with his step-mom that have just gotten harder as the years have gone by. I want him to know that we are proud of him, as does his step-dad and grandparents, but I don't want to go too overboard either. I will do the same for my other two kids at this point in their lives because they have had to deal with the same things through out the years, but they were not as old as odest ds and they don't remember everything, such as the divorce, as clearly. The guest list consist of his grandparents on both sides and his dad and step-mom. I just wanted it to be small and the people that love him the most in life, although I am sure that one person will not be here.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Replies (41-48):
vlester
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM

go for it, i m thinking about doing something small as well for my 5th grader

MissyB1011
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

That sounds like a great idea! It's a great way to show how proud you are of your son and how resilient he is.

emilyrosenj
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

It sounds really nice, he will enjoy it!

Wyldbutterfly
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:54 AM

I think it's an awesome idea and I'm glad you're going to do it. I hope he has a great time.

lazyd
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I dont think that going overboard.  I think that is actually pretty small.  I would actually let your son invite some of his friends, he may want to hang out with them vs his grandparents!  LOL! 

vixen42
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

My son is moving onto middle school and we are taking him to his favorite restaurant so why not/

psych_mom
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

My son actually loves hanging out with his grandparents and will often spend weekends with one set or the other. As I explained earlier in the post money has been tight for us the past couple of months and I am paying for what I can afford, plus this isn't really about having friends over, it is about letting him know that the people that love him the most are proud of him and care about him. That we recognize what he has acomplished through all that he has to deal with. If it were high school, yes we would have friends, but this is just elementary school. A lot of parents never do anything.

Quoting lazyd:

I dont think that going overboard.  I think that is actually pretty small.  I would actually let your son invite some of his friends, he may want to hang out with them vs his grandparents!  LOL! 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea. I have a son going into middle school/jr high, and I was debating the same thing. It's a new milestone for him.

Hope he enjoys the party!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)