Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

It sticks with you

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:44 AM
  • 7 Replies

Those stupid high school pranks and bad choices - no matter how seemingly small - can come back to haunt you later in life.  Read THIS to your kids when they're acting like typical teenagers!

Imagine getting fired for a crime you committed not one, not two, not three, but four decades ago.

That’s what happened to one Milwaukee woman. Wells Fargo fired Yolanda Quesada after a background check found that she shoplifted in 1972, a local NBC affiliate reports. Though Quesada acknowledges she committed the crime, she says shoplifting shortly after high school shouldn't be something that influences her job standing.

Quesada, who is now 58, was fired shortly after receiving a report from an FBI background check in the mail, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports. A Wells Fargo spokesman told the Journal-Sentinel that the company began performing thorough background checks on all existing mortgage unit employees last year "due to legal requirements and changes in the regulatory environment."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/yolanda-quesada-wells-fargo_n_1496273.html?ref=mostpopular#s609107&title=10_Real_Estate

by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bhow
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I do not condone stealing of any kind, ever.  But...this woman was just awarded 5yrs with this company and most places that big "seal" you in at five yrs. and your retirement and benefits are much better when you retire.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were fishing for reasons to eliminate employees to cut down future costs and she fit the 'bill'.  The video states that wells fargo has a policy that justifies getting rid of her...5yrs?  It took them 5yrs to do an FBI background check?  Please!  I don't agree with suing most of the time either but just watch and listen to what happens with this case.  I wouldn't be surprised if multiple lawyers pick up on it and get this woman a settlement.. 5 YEARS?  If they are that reputable of a company they would have done the background check BEFORE they hired her!  Shame on them.

Barabell
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

That's really sad. After no repeat incidents in 40 years, you'd think they wouldn't have a case to fire her. I thought your criminal history eventually was "forgiven," like bad credit history? Am I wrong in that assumption?

Saille717
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I think they just wanted to get rid of her and used this as an excuse.  That's often the case when you hear of some lame reason like this.  

vlester
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

thats crazy but stuff like that does happens so that is why i tell my son watch what u do as a kid because it can catch back up to u

nursemc
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I agree. I've seen this happen. Usually a job will ask if you have any violations within the last 5 or ten years and if it's older you don't have to tell them up front. I've seen them go back further and fire someone and say it was not because of the crime but because they didn't put it on their application or new hire paperwork. It's a way to do layoffs or just get rid of someone and not have to pay unemployment.

Quoting Saille717:

I think they just wanted to get rid of her and used this as an excuse.  That's often the case when you hear of some lame reason like this.  

emilyrosenj
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

That's really sad, it sounds like she had been doing a wonderful job.

Wyldbutterfly
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:22 AM

This is sad. I think they did it for a different reason and used this as an excuse.

My God she is 58 years old. That was in High School.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)