Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do We Tend To Over React?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 3 Replies

Stephen Colbert Makes Hand Sanitizer ‘Abuse’ Paranoia Seem Ridiculous (VIDEO)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt
on May 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

sani-tipsyLeave it to Stephen Colbert, i.e., America's Voice of Reason, to put the latest parenting panic into hilarious perspective.

Last night's episode of The Colbert Report addressed the current behavioral "epidemic" threatening to destroy our nation's youth: Getting drunk on hand sanitizer.

"It's a national crisis!" warned Colbert, adding that according to the Los Angeles Times, "6 local teenagers have gone to emergency rooms in the last few months!"

"Our kids are getting sani-tipsy!" 

(Well, 6 of them are, anyway.)

The segment was more than merely funny, it made an extremely relevant point:

Why do we blow the stupid adolescent antics of a handful of kids out of proportion (on such an epic scale)? Whether it's hand sanitizer or cinnamon or cough syrup or whipped cream canisters ... whatever the household substance, at some point some bored kid is going to figure out a way to abuse it.

That doesn't mean we have to treat whatever the "trend" is as a "national crisis." Does it give make us feel safer, somehow, to identify every possible cause of harm to our children? Has having kids made paranoid conspiracy theorists of us all?

To me, Colbert hit the nail on the head when he said:

"I'm not just a newsman, I'm also a parent. So I know how important it is for moms and dads out there to be frightened at all times."

He's totally right -- it really does feel like we're supposed to be frightened at all times.

Sheesh. It's enough to make a mom reach for a bottle of Purell.

Do you think hand sanitizer abuse is really a tween/teen epidemic?

Video here

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with him, and that's been my POV for awhile on sensationalized things in the media. The key is to educate our kids and for us to stay informed, as opposed to freaking out and over reacting.

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I think it is bad with almost EVERYONE! You need some germs :O)

Rogue35
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Sometimes I think when the kids see this stuff in the media it gives them the idea to do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)