Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Choice

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

Do you have public school choice in your area?

If so, what kinds of options are available to you? Have you had any positive or negative experiences with public school choice?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fineyouguyswin
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Nope public school has one choice here ;O)

HoosierMom2JB
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Our district has school choice there are 5 different elementary school, three middle schools and three high school, they are also offering a High School/University combination next year where the kids will be able to earn their diploma and an associates degree. I'm not really sure about how it works as my children attend a private school..  I live in Indiana which also offers the school choice voucher plan which pays all or part (depending on income) of private school tuition (wish we qualified two in private school is expensive).

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

We live in a school choice state, meaning we aren't charged tuition if we choose to send our child to a different district than the one we live in. Plus, we have tons of charter schools. Not all of the choices include transportation though, and so that's a factor for some families which makes choosing the right school a harder decision.

The district where we live offers magnet schools too. Plus, we have a ton of charter schools in our city. We can enroll in pretty much any school if there is room, but even within district, the transportation options are limited unless you go with a neighborhood or magnet school.

To be honest, I found the choices overwhelming while we were shopping around for a junior high this upcoming school year. But I guess having too many choices is probably better than being stuck with a bad school. I'm just hoping the right choice was made for junior high.

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Our district does not. 

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on May. 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

No, we have no choice. We are assigned schools by residence. We only have one public high and middle school. We have four elementary schools and our kids are shipped to the closest schools.

Bitemebetty
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM

When I grew up intill middle school you had a choice between a math and science school that focused more on well math and science or a art school were I went which had dance, and drama things like that.

motoxmommaof3
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM
We have 4 elementary schools in our town, which is k-4th. Then 1 intermediate school 5-6th, 1 middle school, and 1 high-school. We live about 2 miles out of town and we can choose between 2 different elementary schools, but if you live in town you are placed in school depending on where you live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

No we do not.

auroragold
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Sadly, they do not

vlester
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Yes that is how my son has gotten into 3 schools, into Pre-K, elementary and now into his middle school. He has been selected 3 times for lottery pics for theme schools. They also have montessori, charter, private, ivey league, magnet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)