Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should husbands/partners be held to celebrating Mother's Day?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM
  • 29 Replies

We are not THEIR mothers (though for some husbands we can argue differently....haha), so should we hold them to any responsibilities in celebrating Mother's Day?

May is National Foster Care Month!

CHANGE A LIFETIME

by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband gives me Mother's Day gifts on our DD's birthday since that is the day I became a mother, and I give to him also, since that is the day he became a father.  On the Hallmark Mother's Day, he helps our DD shop for me or help her make something.  He then has me make a Honey Do list... and he gets to it! LOL  Im lucky to have a guy who believes ANY mother deserves a special day, not just HIS mother.  He figures had it not been for me, he would not be celebrating Father's Day next month (when I return the favor and do for him)

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

If they appreciate our role as being a mother (especially to their child), then I think it's reasonable to assume that the spouse or partner should be willing to acknowledge some sort of appreciation on Mother's Day. I'm not saying they have to go overboard, but at least a Thank You, a card, or some gesture would be nice.

SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM
No I don't believe they should be. In my household my spouse and I don't do holiday gifts for one another. Expected at least. We usually get things we like thru the year. Such as my new wedding ring I considered my Xmas, bday, v day and moms day gift. And his grill is the same. Regardless these things aren't required by either of us. Course others I'm sure view this differently
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I agree with your answer.  It doesn't have to be overboard but a nice gesture of appreciation is nice.

Quoting Barabell:

If they appreciate our role as being a mother (especially to their child), then I think it's reasonable to assume that the spouse or partner should be willing to acknowledge some sort of appreciation on Mother's Day. I'm not saying they have to go overboard, but at least a Thank You, a card, or some gesture would be nice.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quoting DalesLgndLvsOn3:

My husband gives me Mother's Day gifts on our DD's birthday since that is the day I became a mother, and I give to him also, since that is the day he became a father.  On the Hallmark Mother's Day, he helps our DD shop for me or help her make something.  He then has me make a Honey Do list... and he gets to it! LOL  Im lucky to have a guy who believes ANY mother deserves a special day, not just HIS mother.  He figures had it not been for me, he would not be celebrating Father's Day next month (when I return the favor and do for him)

Very sweet!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

No I don't believe they should be. In my household my spouse and I don't do holiday gifts for one another. Expected at least. We usually get things we like thru the year. Such as my new wedding ring I considered my Xmas, bday, v day and moms day gift. And his grill is the same. Regardless these things aren't required by either of us. Course others I'm sure view this differently

We rarely exchange gifts too, but I didn't interpret the OP question to be asking about gifts. I read it to be asking if the SO/DH should at least do something in celebration. It could be making a meal, a card, or a small gesture around the house to help the mom feel appreciated.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

We rarely exchange gifts too, but I didn't interpret the OP question to be asking about gifts. I read it to be asking if the SO/DH should at least do something in celebration. It could be making a meal, a card, or a small gesture around the house to help the mom feel appreciated.

Yes....gesture.  Not necessarily gifts.  I'm not really a gifts kind of person but I love a good gesture of appreciation.  The best gifts are the ones they make at school!

May is National Foster Care Month!

CHANGE A LIFETIME

TwinSoccerMom
by on May. 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubby tries to make it special for me. We don't necesarily do gifts as it is within days of my birthday and sometimes does fall on my birthday. But he likes to do something special like take me somewhere I enjoy or make dinner. I often get a flower to plant in the yard or something. I appreciate his thoughtfulness.

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on May. 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think anyone should hold anyone to celebrating any thing.

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

My dad would take my sister and me to get cards and gifts for our mom, but refused to (and still refuses to) get her anything from him b/c she's not his mother.

Dh gets me a wife card to thank me for being a great mom to our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)