Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

sims...game

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

I brought up the subject at work about my tweens playing a game on my iphone called sims...I guess it's suppose to be avatars that are suppose to be you. My 10 & 12 yr old play it and I don't see anything wrong. My co workers were saying that it gets pretty realistic and that people get so addicted that they start living the lives through their sims avatar.

Have any of you heard of this?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

My husband and I have played it on the computer before... it wasn't that addictive to us. We didn't get addicted at all and stopped playing after a few days. I think if you start noticing a problem (which can happen with any video game) then you can take your phone away and stop it.

brandi185
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

it is very addictive.  it's not a game with levels.  basically you make a person, create their life, and live it.  it never ends unless your person dies.  little things from answering the phone to big things like making babies.  it's blurred out but they do actually have sex.  did you see that movie with bruce willis, i think it's called surrogates, where people never leave their houses and are constantly connected to a computer that connects them to a robot person.  that's sort of what sims is like and some people get super obsessed.  i've heard of husbands having better relationships with a sim then with their real life wife and so on.  i have played it and would get hooked for several hours.  i finally got bored with it though because there really is no point other than to live a fake life.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Brandi gave a pretty good description. I've only played a little sims, but I have played RPG games before. They're kind of similar, but RPG has more of a story and levels. The sims are just like social networking in a fictional world.

Some people do get addicted to sims, but people also get addicted to regular video games.

Just make sure they play in moderation. If they can only play on your phone, then I'm not sure how they could get addicted since you're controlling their access to the game.

STARRYVONN
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I've heard of it , but my kids (including myself) aren't interested. My kids like to play animal crossing which is a virtual world game also, except they chose an animal as an avitar and they have their own homes etc, and my oldest daughter likes to play pet pet park.

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I don't see an issue with it

bookworm14
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM
I attempted to play years ago & just couldn't figure out how! Like others have said, you can control how they much exposure they have to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I play sims. I actually bought it for DS till I found out the version I bought (checked it out with me playing it on my computer first) has a bit TOO many realistic choices they show. (Adults can choose to makeout, caress, have sex (it's not worded that way and it's only done under the sheets or water (in the spa) but you kind of get the idea!), etc. (I used to have an older version and it did NOT have any of that -hence why I thought DS would enjoy it.)

It can be addictive because it can be fun and you want to see what's going to happen. Depends on the person though. I go through stages where I play something for a week or two, then get bored of it and focus on something else (may or may not be computer related), etc.

PS The people don't have to look anything like you. They can look however you make them look.

emore626
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

They only play a few times a week and only for an hour or so. I will be watching them.

Quoting Barabell:

Brandi gave a pretty good description. I've only played a little sims, but I have played RPG games before. They're kind of similar, but RPG has more of a story and levels. The sims are just like social networking in a fictional world.

Some people do get addicted to sims, but people also get addicted to regular video games.

Just make sure they play in moderation. If they can only play on your phone, then I'm not sure how they could get addicted since you're controlling their access to the game.

emore626
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Thank you ladies for all the info!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Sounds like you have everything under control then. So why did you make a post, if you already knew how you would handle the gaming?

Quoting emore626:

They only play a few times a week and only for an hour or so. I will be watching them.

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)