Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is This Taking Discipline Too Far?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  • 29 Replies

Couple Shave Daughter's Head & Force Her to Wear a Diaper for Getting Bad Grades

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

Stephanie Ann Broten and Darnell Alan Landrum
Stephanie Ann Broten and Darnell Alan Landrum
I definitely fall more into the tough love camp than the one that coddles and panders to children's demands lest their precious feelings get hurt. Even the increasing number of cases in which parents publicly punish their children don't leave me as outraged as they do many. In my mind, it's much better that they feel the sting of a little humiliation than just letting them run wild with no discipline; let's face it, sometimes talking and reasoning only get you so far.

A couple in Minnesota, however, has taken public shaming as a means of discipline to a whole new level that looks a lot more like abuse than anything else. Mom Stephanie Brotena and her live-in boyfriend Darnell Landrum have been charged with malicious punishment after the cruel public regime they forced their 12-year-old daughter to endure for getting bad grades and not doing her homework.

Instead of grounding her or making her hold up a sign, they instead shaved her head then made her run around their neighborhood doing laps and picking up garbage in nothing but a tank top and an adult diaper. They said they had told her she'd be on "diaper duty" if she didn't do well in school, and when she didn't, diaper duty it was.

According to Fox, at least 50 people were out watching her humiliating experience. Someone called the police, who showed up about 30 minutes into the incident and found the poor girl "crying and hysterical." Her parents didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with their method of discipline and were reportedly laughing in the back of the police vehicle.

Police Lt. Mike Monsrud told MSNBC:

What is perhaps the most disturbing is that all the way up to the jail, the couple was laughing and joking, not believing they were involved in anything inappropriate. They questioned police involvement. They believed it was their decision as parents to discipline the girl.

The girl and her three siblings were taken into protective custody, and the parents face up to a year in jail if convicted. While I typically worry about what kind of precedent these kinds of cases could set for personal parenting decisions, this one is so outrageous and horrifying that I have no qualms saying I think they should be punished criminally. Besides, if this is what they do in public, I'm terrified to think what they might do in private.

Do you think these parents should be punished criminally for disciplining their daughter in this manner?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa...
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Wow. Just wow. That's truly awful. I wouldn't even call them parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STARRYVONN
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

They should be punished the same way. That's nuts.

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

WTF?? what morons someone should punch them.

vale131
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally understand that parents should be able to discipline their kids how they see fit; however, the punishment doesn't come close to fitting the crime. They just wanted to humiliate her - it's terrible and will probably scar that poor girl for life....

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I believe that they should get the SAME treatment they gave their daughter. Her poor grades are their fault as well. They saw she was struggling, and should have gotten her help.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

The diaper and tank top over board.  The cleaning up garbage with a shaved head in the neighborhood too me is not bad.  She was warned, and probably grounded before.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I agree they should have gotten her help, but we dont know if the  school offered any type of tutoring, and those tutoring places I know cost lots of money, I wouldnt be able to send my kids to them.  They might have tried to help and she didnt want their help and being defiante.  We know the end for the punishment there is always more to the story.

Quoting kmrtigger:

I believe that they should get the SAME treatment they gave their daughter. Her poor grades are their fault as well. They saw she was struggling, and should have gotten her help.

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on May. 12, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Shaving her hair was totally inappropriate. Making her run around in a tank top and diaper was inappropiate.

Having her pick up garbage in the neighbor hood I can agree with. The rest of it, no it's way over board and these two should face some sort of punishment. Maybe the same they gave her daughter.

WTH is the matter with parents?

vixen42
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the punishment should fit the crime so how does this teach her anything except her parents are bullies

psych_mom
by Stacy on May. 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Wow, this punishment doesn't fit the crime at all. You make her study more, work with her, ground her and maybe make her pick up the trash- not shave her head or make her wear an adult diaper. For some reason I have a feeling that the adult diaper thing isn't new and has been used inside the home before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)