Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

At what age do you stop throwing big birthday parties for them ?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD just had her 10th birthday party this past weekend. 

I told her a while ago , that this will more likely be her last 'party'..until her Sweet 16 of course. 

But that from now on (after this party) ..she may have 2 or 3 friends over for a sleep over to celebrate her following birthday's.

So i was just wondering ...at what age do you cut down the Birthday Parties ? 

by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
momto3infl
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:34 AM
We have never did b-day parties just family get togethers. I have thrown one friend party for my oldest and for my son, my youngest still hasnt had one.
MaddieBsMommy
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM

that's exactly what I told my DD last year when she turned 10, and this year, we'll be camping at a really cool campground on a river with a water park kinda thing, I'm gonna let her bring a couple friends and celebrate there....we've done massive parties every year, and my son is turning 1 next week, so we get to start all over, lol...

TGOLD1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I wont, I will always celebrate their birthdays in a big way:)

tnmommy010307
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM

We never throw big parties.  With our first child we did, and began to realize it wasn't enjoyable for anyone!  Adults were immaturely squabbling or giving each other dirty looks.  I was stressing to have a spotless house with perfect decorations.  We were spending more money on the party and guest food than our child, so it stopped.  With our next two we had bigger parties for milestones i.e. 1st, 3rd (just because they finally realize the attention is for them ;), Grade K, 13, 16, and 18.  Now we eliminate stress by having family time :)  Next month is my son's 9th birthday.  We are renting a pontoon boat with a slide for the day, home made cake, 1 best friend invited, and anything he wants for dinner.  My daughter is turning 11 soon, and we are planning a family trip to Gatlinburg... hotel (even though we only live an 1 1/2 hrs away), attractions, dining out, the works... I'm so happy that we chose these kinds of parties, because the kids will remember how special they felt on their birthday, instead of having stories about crazy relatives acting up on their birthdays ;)love you sign

MB13
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM

By middle school, my kids were just having a few friends over to celebrate their birthdays.   We are lucky though with summer birthdays and a swimming pool.  They would just have friends over for swimming and treats.  No big plans required.

Ang4AU
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Ten sounds about right. We did the same with ds for his 11th birthday. Invited 2 boys over for sleepover, rented new video game, ordered pizza, etc.
wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

We don't really do big parties. Ds2 and dd have never had a party, and they are 8 and 6. We did a party for ds1's 10th b-day (he invited 5 friends to a bowling party) and his 13th (10 or 11 friends and laser tag). We'll do parties for ds2 and dd on those "milestones" as well, although it is harder w/ their b-days being the beginning of Jan. We'll probably do something for 16th and 18th b-days as well. 

The last last big party I had growing up was a sleepover w/ 7 friends for my 13th b-day.

Just do what you are comfortable w/ and will also make your dd happy.

kelley72
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I stopped with my oldest two (now 11 and 13) when the activities became too expensive for me to pay for more than a few to go.  I have them invite two to four and we do an activity followed with a spend the night

My younger two boys, now 9 and 10, are moving into the age where I will do the same.

bhow
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

mine said no more until she was 16... at 12

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Well if I could I would till they moved out :O)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN