My idea of a hot date these days is a nice, quiet evening curled up with my heating pad. That's probably because I'm old, but you know. I've started to realize that I should probably get off my unromantic butt and bring the romance back.
What better way to make your relationship crackle to life again than a box of popcorn and a couple of good date movies? (Answer: nothing.)
But you'll need to choose the right movie to put you both in a romantic state of mind. Here are my top 10 best date movies. I guarantee their power at setting the mood!
1) When Harry Met Sally. I'm not sure if it's a movie that's equally beloved by men and women, but most ladies I know find the relationship between Harry and Sally as it develops over time to be adorable. I'm one of those ladies.
2) Zack and Miri Make a Porno. This is the story of two old friends and current roommates who realize they need to make a bit of cash to pay the bills. They decide to make a porn movie. In the process? They fall in love. It's toocuteforwords.
3) Annie Hall. A Woody Allen classic that manages to strike a balance between hysterical and sweet, even if the ending isn't quite what you want it to be. The characters are perfect and, quite frankly, feel a lot more real than those in most romantic comedies.
4) Almost Famous. Hilarious yet touching, this one has it all. It's a wonderfully romantic, well-executed, charming movie that almost certainly will lead to some lovely time between the sheets.
5) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Jim Carrey drops the "goofy guy with the funny faces" act and shows that he has depth and some serious acting chops. The film is beautiful and heartbreaking, even as it's confusing at times. It is easily one of my favorites.
6) Say Anything. It's a tried-and-true classic, one that gets my knickers in a bunch every time. Mostly because I still wish my old boyfriend would show up outside my window with a boom box. If only so I can tell him to go away.
7) Edward Scissorhands. This legendary Tim Burton film is one of the most well-done he's ever created (and that's saying a lot). Johnny Depp's character is just the right amount of vulnerable and innocent. It's a movie for outsiders - like most of us.
8) Terminator 2. I know, I know, I'm supposed to keep this to movies that involve romance, not time-traveling cyborgs, but most people I know love both the storyline and the characters. It's a great flick to snuggle up on the couch and watch.
9) Parenthood. A movie so successful that it later launched a television series, Parenthood is one of the few that actually manages to show life as it really is -- the crazy and beautiful times alike.
10) L.A. Story. Another Steve Martin gem, this film celebrates Los Angeles culture while two people manage to fall in love under the most bizarre of circumstances.
What are YOUR favorite date movies?
Are any of them on this list?