Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Allowance?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do you give allowance? We normally don't, but for the summer time we are going to try it. When school starts again we will go back to no allowance, most likely, but during the summer they will be home more often so they will probably have more to pick up/clean.

I'm giving them $5 a week and they each have a room to keep clean, as well as helping with laundry. They have to save at least $2.50 each week, but the other $2.50 they can spend.

What's your philosophy on allowance? What are your kids chores?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Our philosophy is that the house is everyone's responsibility so we do not give money for doing their part.

I have implemented a reading challenge for them.  For my oldest, each chapter book (100-200 pages) earns $1.  She can go through them pretty fast.  My twins (going into 1st), every 50 pages earns $1.  They should be reading on their own and do but this is just a bonus. 

As for chores, we got really busy with sports so there was no specific chore for each of them....it was mainly what we asked of them in that moment.  We will start with chores again this summer: 1) one of the 3 chores (since we have 3 kids): put dishes away, clean off dining room table + sweep floors, or bathroom counter and floor; 2) clean their room; 3) put whatever is their stuff away.  Other than that....whatever we ask them to do.

randomosityblog
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Our philosophy is that the house is everyone's responsibility so we do not give money for doing their part.

I have implemented a reading challenge for them.  For my oldest, each chapter book (100-200 pages) earns $1.  She can go through them pretty fast.  My twins (going into 1st), every 50 pages earns $1.  They should be reading on their own and do but this is just a bonus. 

As for chores, we got really busy with sports so there was no specific chore for each of them....it was mainly what we asked of them in that moment.  We will start with chores again this summer: 1) one of the 3 chores (since we have 3 kids): put dishes away, clean off dining room table + sweep floors, or bathroom counter and floor; 2) clean their room; 3) put whatever is their stuff away.  Other than that....whatever we ask them to do.

I love the reading challenge. They read constantly though so I'd be broke! lol But that's how I feel about chores. They should be doing it anyway but the $$ is an added bonus, for the summer.

auroragold
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

No allowance - 

Chores are done - period.

Extra chores/work get paid

Briyawna
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

currently no.. i have to remind my 10 yr old repeatedly to do his chores! I got allowance when I was younger and I had chores to earn it.. My husband had no chores and no allowance therefore says our son shouldnt get any.. it annoys me.

psych_mom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM
No, but we will be paying my oldest to do yard work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hotmommytutu
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

My girls do not get allowance. They are very well taken care of and get , for the most part, what they want. They shouldn't get an allowance, too.  

randomosityblog
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hotmommytutu:

My girls do not get allowance. They are very well taken care of and get , for the most part, what they want. They shouldn't get an allowance, too.  

I figured it'd save me some money if I could say "You can buy that with your own money" and they would appreciate it more if they had to save for it, but my girlfriend is like you.. she said ummm they already get everything they want, they don't need an allowance too! So I'm cutting back on what I'm buying them and letting them earn it instead.

hotmommytutu
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty certain my girls would be more appreciative, not that they aren't, but, they'd be more so if they had to work for it. 

However, my girls do know that as soon as they are of age, they will be getting jobs and funding outside of school and needs are cut off.  I still have a few yrs to grow my back bone!  lol

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

I figured it'd save me some money if I could say "You can buy that with your own money" and they would appreciate it more if they had to save for it, but my girlfriend is like you.. she said ummm they already get everything they want, they don't need an allowance too! So I'm cutting back on what I'm buying them and letting them earn it instead.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM
What would you cut out? I'm curious because I guess I'm different and my girls don't have any expectation that we are going to buy them things often. If we had to cut things out, I couldn't tell you what we could. So, I'm curious what your kids get that you would have them buy it on their own.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

They don't have any expectation that I'm going to buy them things, but I do it because I love to shop. :)

We go to Goodwill once a week to donate a bag of stuff. We then pick out books, toys, etc. to replace some of that stuff. I always pay for whatever they ask for, because it's so cheap. If we go to Wal-Mart and I see they're looking at a shirt, or headphones, or whatever, I will get it for them. This way I can be like "do you have enough money for it?" or "what would you need to do to earn that money?". I just want to teach them about saving, giving, and earning... and I feel like this is a good way to do it above and beyond what I've been doing.

Quoting M4LG5:

What would you cut out? I'm curious because I guess I'm different and my girls don't have any expectation that we are going to buy them things often. If we had to cut things out, I couldn't tell you what we could. So, I'm curious what your kids get that you would have them buy it on their own.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)