Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do you give allowance? We normally don't, but for the summer time we are going to try it. When school starts again we will go back to no allowance, most likely, but during the summer they will be home more often so they will probably have more to pick up/clean.

I'm giving them $5 a week and they each have a room to keep clean, as well as helping with laundry. They have to save at least $2.50 each week, but the other $2.50 they can spend.

What's your philosophy on allowance? What are your kids chores?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Replies (21-26):
Wyldbutterfly
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:32 AM

I used to say no because well, I believe kids should help in the home. It's their house too and they should have some responsibility.

Now I can't say that anymore. Since I've started work my youngest has gone above and beyond so I give her money every week.

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

We have tried they didn't ahve the urge to earn it .

kmrtigger
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not give allowances. I did however up the chore list, and more rewards were added. They love earning points to play on the computer, video games and sleep overs. My rewards are small ones. Some are family day trips, and fun things to do.

kmrtigger
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I might suggest trying this site for a few weeks. You choose the rewards, and can set the points they earn. They decide how to spend/save the rewards. Some of the rewards can be money, too.

lazyd
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I received an allowance, but that was my parents choice.  Even if I had the money to pay an allowance I would NOT pay one.  I feel like if you live in this house than you must contribute to keeping it clean and do chores.  NO ONE PAYS ME for cooking and cleaning, etc., why should I pay my kids??  The chores for my kids are age appropriate and we dont make them do something where they can break something or hurt themselves in the process.   

styler7
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Same here.
Anything that goes above and beyond normal everyday chores gets rewarded.

Quoting auroragold:

No allowance - 

Chores are done - period.

Extra chores/work get paid

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN