Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do you give allowance? We normally don't, but for the summer time we are going to try it. When school starts again we will go back to no allowance, most likely, but during the summer they will be home more often so they will probably have more to pick up/clean.

I'm giving them $5 a week and they each have a room to keep clean, as well as helping with laundry. They have to save at least $2.50 each week, but the other $2.50 they can spend.

What's your philosophy on allowance? What are your kids chores?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Once a week!! Wow. You have that much stuff? If we go into any store, the first thing I say is "don't ask for anything" and every once in awhile I will surprise them and let them get something....like gum.

Quoting randomosityblog:

They don't have any expectation that I'm going to buy them things, but I do it because I love to shop. :)

We go to Goodwill once a week to donate a bag of stuff. We then pick out books, toys, etc. to replace some of that stuff. I always pay for whatever they ask for, because it's so cheap. If we go to Wal-Mart and I see they're looking at a shirt, or headphones, or whatever, I will get it for them. This way I can be like "do you have enough money for it?" or "what would you need to do to earn that money?". I just want to teach them about saving, giving, and earning... and I feel like this is a good way to do it above and beyond what I've been doing.

Quoting M4LG5:

What would you cut out? I'm curious because I guess I'm different and my girls don't have any expectation that we are going to buy them things often. If we had to cut things out, I couldn't tell you what we could. So, I'm curious what your kids get that you would have them buy it on their own.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

My girls do not get allowance. They are very well taken care of and get , for the most part, what they want. They shouldn't get an allowance, too.  

I figured it'd save me some money if I could say "You can buy that with your own money" and they would appreciate it more if they had to save for it, but my girlfriend is like you.. she said ummm they already get everything they want, they don't need an allowance too! So I'm cutting back on what I'm buying them and letting them earn it instead.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Most people have lots of stuff. :) It's just a passion of mine to donate (we were homeless not too long ago so it's important to us to give back), so I recycle... we buy things and give other things away. The rule is we give a bag away before we buy anything else. They don't ask for anything, though, or everything goes back. I don't think much annoys me more than "Can I have that? Can I have this?" ... UGH. 

Oh and we also make a lot of stuff. I made them a kitchen set out of an entertainment center. We will be donating that when they get tired of playing with it. It's the "toy" they've had the longest, ever I think though... they love it lol.

Quoting M4LG5:

Once a week!! Wow. You have that much stuff? If we go into any store, the first thing I say is "don't ask for anything" and every once in awhile I will surprise them and let them get something....like gum.
brandi185
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

i use to say no to giving allowance for chores but i have recently changed my mind.  my kids each have a lock box so they can save without worrying about each others sticky fingers.  i use iallowance on my iphone.  i give them 10 to 50 cents per chore depending on how hard it is.  they each make about $5 a week but i only pay them once a month.  they are only allowed to spend their money on things like toys and such once a month.  if they want to go skating, see a movie, go to the arcade, etc. they use their own money.  iallowance allows them to set up goals also and it tells them how much they have saved toward that thing or event.  they are learning the value of work and budget.  if they don't do something right or not on time or not at all they don't get money for it.  i also have iallowance set up so that if they behave badly they get money deducted and if they do something a little extra they get a small bonus.

in the summer my kids earn video game time from reading.  i don't do this during the school year because they barely have enough time outside of school and scouts to even turn on their tv.  shoot, i don't think they've turned on their tv for a couple months now.

HoosierMom2JB
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM

We give DD10 & DS12 an allowance that is based on their chores, if they do their chores without DH & I having to remind them more than once they are paid for them. They are both really good about getting their chores done with out us reminding them. We use the chores and allowance to teach them about responibility and that you must work to get paid. Their allowance if all chores are done is $20 a week, which they use to purchase things that they want or to go skating, movies, football games, etc... DH & I do not give extra money for these things if they want to do them they must work for the money.

shashta102
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yes We give dd $5.00 pr month and only if she has earend it and has been good

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Typically, we do. He gets $10 a week for doing his chores, which include keeping his room clean, doing his own laundry, and doing the dishes. $20 goes to him in cash, and $20 goes into his savings account.

brandi185
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM

i forgot to list my kids chores.  

they have to put the towels from their bathroom in the laundry room 3 times week

clean their rooms every night

unmake their beds every tuesday.  the 10 year old makes his own bed that evening.  the 8 year isn't yet tall enough.  they have captains beds with drawers in the underside which makes the beds tall.  

they pick up dog poop twice a week.  usually it only happens once a week because of weather but i have it scheduled for twice a week.  it's usually done when dh and i also have outside chores.  

they put away their dirty laundry every morning

they sort and put away their clean laundry once a week

the 10 year old sweeps the kitchen and lets the dogs out every morning

the 8 year old changes out the placemats on the kitchen table and gives the dogs their morning treat every morning.  

it sounds like a lot but it's not when you see them doing it.  the morning stuff takes them about 15 minutes and the evening stuff, laundry and cleaning rooms, is at their own pace.  

Blondemom77
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Yes , but only if they do their part in the house. I don't call it chores , I call it their "part" meaning how they help themselves and the family. Nothing too crazy , just pick up after yourself , shut off lights when your done , the tv and etc. I give my oldest Willow(15) $10 a week and I give my son Liam(13) $10 a week as well. My Son Landon gets $5 a week and he is 10. They either save their money or spend it on little things they want or going out on a date or with friends. 

queencreekmom
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Yes, we give our kids 4 chores every Saturday and they get $3.00 each for completing them. Instead of giving cash we have them write it in a bank book and they are learning to save and also to keep track of their deposits and debits. And then if they want something they have to buy it themselves!
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 24, 2012 at 1:47 AM
My kids get $1/week per year of age. As long as they behave and their chores are done by Friday night, they get paid. Chores not done, they lose half their money. Still not done by Saturday night? They lose the whole allowance. STILL not done by Sunday night? They lose the next week's money AND they get woken up early Monday morning to finish them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)