Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Does your tween have a Facebook?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 10 year old son does not.. he is not mature enough... He would add anyone as a friend..

If your's does not when will you allow them to have one or will you ever?

I told my son he could have one when he is 13 or 14 (whenever facebook allows you to have one)

My husband doesnt think he should ever have one.. but he hardly uses facebook himself..

by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Replies (31-36):
extremelibrary
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Not yet.

skippette14
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Yes my 10 yr old STEP daughter does...it wasn't mine or her fathers choice to let her have it, it was her mothers, I DISAGREE WITH IT, SHE'S TOO YOUNG
geminigirl1981
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 3:58 AM

My 11 year old does, however, he cannot access it without me because it is connected to one of my other emails and he does not know that password, as well as I added that I get notified via email whenever it is logged into, so even if he did find out that password I would be notified that he logged in.  He is also only allowed to be on it in front of me when I log him on.  I let him get one due to famiily being deployed, and stationed elsewhere,it made it easy for them to talk.  He does (or  should say I do) add friends from school, but only if I know them, 95% of the people on there are family.

DEEANNALAMB81
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM

My daughter (almost 12) does but my son (10) doesn't, my son isn't mature enough too. My daughter has mostly just family on hers a few school friends. It is mostly used to communicate with family in other states. 

I have her password and check it regularly.

3lilpunk1ns
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

This.  My son has one and has for some time. He is 12.  I have his login info and check it often.  I have been known to log in at the same time as that he is on it in the other room and watch the conversation as it progresses.  He knows I do this--just not when I do it.

He is only allowed to add family/friends.  He also has to check with me before adding friends. Even then I will go through his friends list occasionally to verify I know them.  I have most of his friends parents and friends on my friends list as well and will verify friends if needed.  

I keep his settings to private.

Quoting karisma22:

My daughter has had an account for quite a while.  She just turned 13.  I really don't care what anyone on here thinks.  It should be up to the parent if they think that their child is mature enough for one.  All of her friends are either relatives or people who she knows.  She has to check with me before she accepts friend requests.  All of her settings are private.

Quoting Barabell:

My son has a FB account. I don't usually admit it on CM because he is under 13 and people on CM tend to get judgmental about this issue.

He uses his FB account less than I do, and he only has people that he knows in real life as friends. It is mainly family members that live in another state. We've gone over and review often social networking safety, including when he uses his Xbox Live account.

brandi185
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM

my soon to be 11 year old has an email and that's all he'll get until high school.  i just don't see a need for facebook for kids.  my kids both (the other is 8) have xbox live and play online games.  once my older son told me about a person that wanted to "friend" him.  he said he didn't friend him because he didn't know him.  so i was pretty proud to hear that.  they have xbox live for netflix not social stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN