Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

The unhappy introverts

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
  • 11 Replies

That's what I'm going to nickname my family.

Anyone else?

All of us (parent included)  want/need to have a few friends but in order to do that you've got to get yourself out their and meet people. 

ahhh...that's where the problem comes in.  Not of one of us is very good at meeting people. Seriously it's awkward and struggle. So we end up hanging around the house being lonely. That's fine for me and my husband but I worry about my 10 year old twins.

It would be a lot better if fates didn't work against us.

I have twin girls that tend to stick together even tho i've always put them in separate classes and just recently put them in different activities

We live on a street where there are basically no other kids.

This is petty but I live in an area where you join a pool club.  I can't get into the pool where everyone from the neighborhood and school are going. We are members of another pool but we don't know anyone and after three years we still don't know anyone.

This is more of a vent than anything else. The summer is stretching before us. I have the girls in summer camp most week and have a few fun things planned.  I can't entertain them all summer however. I feel bad for them that they are so lonely. It seems like all the other kids are out doing things with their friends while they are just hanging around the house.

I've had kids over from school but my girls don't know what to do with them and I have to do a good bit of entertaining. 

by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Why can't you get into the neighborhood pool?

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM

It's a members only pool.  They are full and we've been on the wait list for years.

I guess what I'm asking is a WWYD if you were me?

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Find a "social skills group" in your area.Or try the boys and girls clubs, YMCA, PAL(Police Atletic League). How about having the kids come up with a theme for each week of the summer and incorporate related things to THAT particular week. Camping week, carnival week, talent show week, etc, send out fliers at your local stores(walmart, target) and go to the OTHER pool in town and circulate those fliers where those kids you'd like to get your kids together with will be. Just say "this summer we're planning themed weeks of fun and frolic,we'd love to have you there".

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Quoting birdandchicks:

It's a members only pool.  They are full and we've been on the wait list for years.

I guess what I'm asking is a WWYD if you were me?

Maybe one of the families who ARE members can speak up for you and ask the POOL personnel "So, I was wondering, will Amy and her family be moving up on the list soon, we've wanted them to attend so many things with us here, but since they've been on the wait list for X years, they can never join us and it's so sad, they've had to be excluded, is there anything you can do to speed things up a bit?"

auroragold
by on May. 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I think summer camp will make a difference.

Are there other programs or day activities they can do?

mom22tumblebugs
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Are there any Girl Scout troops in your area?  Also, the local council often offers summer camp programs (day and overnight camps) and day programs about a topic. I have in intorvert too and find that programs that are about teamwork really bring my daughter out of her shell.

Our local conservation district also offers summer nature camps which include things like camping skills, canoeing, hiking etc and she usually clicks with a couple of kids while learning about our environment.

girlsclubmom
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Keep reaching out and finding other new kids in new activities.. church groups ect...  It is not awful that they are not social butterflys , just strive for a few friends. Make sure they know there is nothing "wrong" with them. Girl scouts, dance, cheerlesding, 4h ect... get online and find some groups. I have a few introverts here too .. this has worked for them. Best of luck!

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM
We are involved in sports and we just bbq at our house. Sometimes I don't want to because as social as we are, I like being introvert too but once they are here....its a lot of fun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on May. 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I honestly don't see the need for other people in my life.lol As far as the kids camps are good, library often has a program to.

kmrtigger
by on May. 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM
I love the suggestions the other ladies have made.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN