Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Tampons???

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

My DD is going to be13 soon and when is a good time to introduce and explain how tampons work

p.s she's had her "friend" since she was 9

by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lilpep100
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM
I didn't use them until I was 16. It was awkward because I was at the beach with friends, my bf mom was chaperoning, and I had to get her to take me to the store. I wish my mom had bought them for me earlier, I missed a lot of pool parties and such because of it.

My DD is on the year round swim. She's 12 and got her first period in April. It seems to be skipping this time and it's light because she's very athletic. I bought her a box and explained them, and will talk her through it when it comes back. I just wanted her to get one cycle out of the way first. Mind you, my daughter chose swim for her pe. It's required, and she can't miss a week. All of the swimmers started tampons at early ages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM

My 10 year old already knows what they are and how they work.  we'll discuss her USE of them when she has a regular period

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I explained it to my 8 year while we read American girl. She doesn't want to use one when she gets her period but I told her that there are some situations that she may want to use one. In the book it dies teach her but I will explain it again when she gets it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caytismom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

my daughter started using them when she was 11.  They are just more sanitary for her.  I do have to remind her about how often to change them and such, but she has ADHD.  I had to remind her with pads too, but tampons are just less mess for her to clean up.

jurnee14
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

My dd has been using them since she started at 14. Jsut make sure your daiughter knows to change them often. 

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Since she has had it for 4 years already I would think when she is ready.

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Most tampons have great picture inserts these days ;O) maybe you could look at it together.

KristinRox
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:55 AM

My dd is 10 and she hasnt had a period yet. When she does start, she will start out with pads, and then as time goes on and she wants to go swimming and all that good stuff Ill teach her how to use a tampon and that she needs to change it often.

cnash81
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I didn't want to let my 11 yo. DD use them because I was worried about her losing track of time and the risk of TSS.  On a weekend to her dad's, she ran out of pads.  They refused to take her to the store and gave her tampons.  We had talked a little about them, but not in great detail.  Her step-mom didn't even ask her if she'd ever used them, if she was allowed, and didn't tell her about the dangers of leaving one in too long.  She had to get the info from her 14 yo. stepsister and she left out the most important stuff.  Now that she's used tampons, there's no going back to pads (except at night).  I was just pissed they didn't give her the full info on them.  I had to fill in the blanks after she got home.  Just make sure she's well informed.  As long as you feel your child understands everything she needs to know and is mindful of changing them often, I think 13 should be fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN