Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Throwing fits

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

DH and I both are noticing more and more that if DD (12) doesn't get what she wants when she wants it she throws a fit. She will whine, and then say "fine!" followed by stomping off. Today she was fighting with my younger DD who is 2 and it was like the older one turned into a 2 year old! DD wanted to call her friend to make sure she had what she needed for field day tomorrow at school, but she is grounded so she couldn't. She tried to convince me it was "necessary for school". I told her I would contact her friend on facebook (I am friends with both the friend and friend's mother on facebook). But it wasn't fair because I wouldn't let her find out...even though she knows she is grounded. I did call friend's mom and spoke to friend and got the info - which DD already knew.

I am just over the fits when she doesn't get her way on her time. How do y'all handle it?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
fineyouguyswin
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

UGH lately my 9 year old has started throwing fits like a 2 year old. It is really driving me NUTS!

fineyouguyswin
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Oh and our kids stand in the corner :O)

stuswf
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Sounds like a "I'm the parent, you're a child" talk is due! Follow through follow through!!! (remember they do grow up & move away....this too shall pass)

(luv & enjoy them all you can!!!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I ignore it- they hate to be ignored so the behavior changes when they see that it doesn't have an affect on me.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I've told my daughter, if you want to act like a 2 year old, I will treat you like a 2 year old and put you in "time out" (which she hates now).  I told her if she wants me to treat her like an 8 year old, I will be happy to TALK to her. 

I've sent her to her room until she comes out like an 8 year old.

chris13
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

I've told my daughter, if you want to act like a 2 year old, I will treat you like a 2 year old and put you in "time out" (which she hates now).  I told her if she wants me to treat her like an 8 year old, I will be happy to TALK to her. 

I've sent her to her room until she comes out like an 8 year old.

i will have to use this line

catngabsmom
by Erica on May. 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM
My 9 year old is on a smack down because of her attitude!!! She sent me a text in mid-may that i was a nasty witch. So because of that text and her attitude the few months before, she is grounded till the end of the school year (June 7th), no friends, no outside, no cell phone. She has to pay for the month her cell phone is not being used, write me an essay about why words hurt, why does the written word hurt more than the spoken word, and what is the proper use for cell phones and texting. She received an invitation for a birthday party on June 2nd, because she has handled her punishment with remorse, grace and dignity, i gave her the opportunity to earn the privilege of being able to go to the party. She chose to weed my garden beds, it turned into a re-landscaping project, but she has been out there every day helping and doing. She even helped me cut down two bushes and pull out the rootballs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tomsjennabean
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

somedays i could ignore it but most i cant especially when its seems like everyday. I have been doing time outs but here is a time out any kid will hate...(i got the idea from my marine brother) pick a room that you can see them have them STAND in the middle of the room (where they cant lean or sit on anything) they have to STAND i do the min.by age so my SD now 12 would have to STAND for 12 mins. if she continues to mutter under her breath stomp sigh talk back cry or anything else i add time on.....i did this about a month ago she ended up getting a total of 30min just standing there she hated it but i think it has helped aleast with me she now knows when i tell her to change her attitude or stop slamming books etc. what will happen and i usually only have to say it about 2 times now lol. Also i pull the if you dont stop the attitude you can go to bed even if its right after school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN