Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

11 words adults can't spell!

Posted by   + Show Post

Are any of these on YOUR list??

Here are 11 words that many adult screws up, presented for you in standard spelling bee form.

The word is: Occasion

Can you use it in a sentence? Finally, an occasion to address all these words we always stumble on.

Is it o-c-c-a-s-s-i-o-n? // ::buzzer::

The word is: Fiery

Can you use it in a sentence? Tim Duncan is the opposite of fiery.

Is it f-i-r-e-y? // ::ding::

The word is: Embarrassed

Can you use it in a sentence? I was so embarrassed I spelled embarrass wrong, even though it had a red, squiggly line underneath when I typed it in Word.

Is it e-m-b-a-r-a-s-s? // ::horn::

The word is: Restaurant

Can you use it in a sentence? Apparently Mark Zuckerberg didn't tip very well at that restaurant on his Italian honeymoon.

Is it r-e-s-t-a-r-a-u-n-t? // ::gong::

The word is: Vacuum

Can you use it in a sentence? The next time ESPN airs an offbeat competition will be July 4, when human vacuum Joey Chestnut eats 55 hot dogs.

Is it v-a-c-c-u-m? // ::whoopee cushion sound::

The word is: Loose

Can you use it in a sentence? The owner of a gay bar says bachelorette parties are no longer welcome to cut loose there.

Is it l-o-s-e? // ::squish::

The word is: Daiquiri

Can you use it in a sentence? When at the beach this summer, a real man will order a strawberry daiquiri.

Is it d-a-q-u-i-r-i? // ::airhorn::

The word is: Independent

Can you use it in a sentence? There are lots of independent thoughts out there about how to spell this word and pretty much every one them is wrong.

Is it i-n-d-e-p-e-d-a-n-t? // ::wah-wah-waaahh::

The word is: Recommend

Can you use it in a sentence? I'd recommend this article to whoever made that Romney app.

Is it r-e-c-c-o-m-e-n-d? // ::The Price Is Right loser noise::

The word is: Separate

Can you use it in a sentence? The spelling bee should have a separate contest for the most over-the-top reactions.

Is it s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e? // ::Pac-Man dying sound::

The word is: Misspell

Can you use it in a sentence? Misspell has got to be the very worst word to misspell.

Is it m-i-s-p-e-l-l? // No.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/05/31/words-adults-cant-spell-spelling-bee?hpt=hp_t2

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
MB13
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

The other one that drives me nuts is when people say "could of" or "should of" instead of "could have" or "should have." 

In a sentence:  I should have spent more time in grammar class.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

For the most part I am good with these words unless I am in the middle of a bad migraine. I have always been a strong speller. If I have a problem with a word I make it a point to learn the correct way to spell it.

Barabell
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The first three trip me up a lot, but I don't spell them often. I know how to spell the rest, but Daiquiri because I never need to write it out.

Another common mistake I see on CM is:

allowed versus aloud

That one drives me nuts!

Barabell
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Also: advice versus advise

psych_mom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I see people mixing up then and than a lot. That absolutely drives me crazy!

Quoting Barabell:

Also: advice versus advise

Tea4Tas
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

scissors

squirrel

refrigerator

DixieL
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I used to be great in spelling, but now I second guess myself in a lot of words. I can spell all those words except daiquiri

brandi185
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Quoting MB13:

The other one that drives me nuts is when people say "could of" or "should of" instead of "could have" or "should have." 

In a sentence:  I should have spent more time in grammar class.

what about could've and shoud've.  when i click check spelling on here it says they're wrong but when i type them on microsoft word it says they're correct.

STKsMomma
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Hahaha I do have to check myself a lot, but since I am PERFECT *cough cough bullsh*# not often!

What gets me is when people abbreviate words by just dropping the last letter like wit

I went wit him to store! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh drives me crazy!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I have trouble with vacuum, I can never remember if it supposed to be two c's or two u's. lol. Lose and loose drive me nuts, so does the misuse of their/there/they're, two, to, and too...and I see this A LOT on facebook but sale and sell...something is for sale and then you sell it, it is not for sell and then you sale it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)