Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You - at age 10-11-12-13

Posted by   + Show Post

I watch my own 10 year old daughter - -her friends - -and posts on places like......CafeMom.  And I wonder......

What was *I* like at those ages?

Was *I* one of those kids that are mentioned on here (what happened to my little girl? moodiness? backtalk? sass?)

Were YOU one of those kids?  And.......are you sure?  

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
connietrrll
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

At 10 I was a tomboy. I had little to no responsibility. I rode my bike every where. I played baseball. I was the first girl in our county to play baseball on our local little league team.

I was the typical 70's movie tomboy character.

I was not rude, but people were definitely afraid of me. My husband works with someone that told my husband she knew me back then. She said I was a bully. I said she was wrong, she was just stupid enough to try and antagonize me and my friends on a weekly basis!

brandi185
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

my mom says that i was a good kid until i opened my mouth.  i could back talk with the best of them.  there was a point when i realized i didn't like getting back handed so i kept my comments to myself.  i think i was 14 or 15.  i was always shy around people outside my family though.  

styler7
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Daughter of a pastor.
I was far from any child I read about on CM. I was soooo shy, quiet, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilpunk1ns
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I think overall, I was a pretty good kid. At least until 13. haha. Then I was with some of the wrong friends. I had some bad moments where I made bad decisions.  My rebellious age didn't come until I hit 18.  My mom will and has told me that several times.  As a kid and tween, my parents had put the fear of God in me.  

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Oh, I was definitely one of those girls at that age but i was more brooding than anything. Being adhd and having all the kids in the neighborhood/school calling you crazy..does things to youu as a person. I have been suicidal most of my life (or at least always suicidal thinking) because of the treatment I got from these kids and their freaking parents. My girl also adhd , now is living the same challenges, trials and tribulations i lived. The only differences between the two of us are that I have logic(higher level thinking she just doesn't have yet), and I could usually see(tell) who wasn't a real friend and what not. My dd cannot seem to see that most of these kidsare either using her, or laughing at her either to her face or behind her back.  Boys were easier to deal with. Boys just fist fighted, and it was over, it's NEVER OVEr when dealing with GIRLS!.

ClassyMom619
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

At 10-11-12-13 I was a nerd who was good at sports so no one knew what to make of me. I couldn't hang with the cool crowd because I was too smart to be cool enough for them. I couldn't hang with the nerds because I was a cheerleader so they would just tag along with me to get to know the other "cool" girls and I felt used. 

Now I see my own 12 year old daughter falling into the same situation as me. She's on a championship cheer tream and top of the honor roll in school. Go figure.

My son on the other hand struggles in school, but is a sports superstar. Only problem is he isn't a dumb jock. He's got the brain of a genius, but is just too damn lazy to use it. So he just squeaks on by enough to keep playing the sprts, but can do a million times better. :::sigh::: Just like his dad.

So I wasn't here nor there. But at least I graduated early and found my true friends in college.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Oh, I kow I had a sassy, backtalking mouth. That and laziness about my schoolwork were the 2 biggest things that drove my parents nuts.

CoffeemomX09
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I was going through a lot at those ages. i had lost my mom to breast cancer at age 7 and around 10 yr old started acting out, mood swings, sneaking out, lying, stealing, smoking, self mutilation. I only hope and pray my children dont have to go through anything to affect there behavior.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I was very respectful and never backtacked my mom. I learned my lesson when I was in Kindergarden. She backhanded me quicker than I could blink.

I did what I was asked the first time without any sassiness. I never asked for anything. I had my nose in my books. I had it tossed in my face all the time how I ruined my parents lives b/c she got pregnat at 15 and had to quit school and dad had to drop out to get ajob. So I wanted to be better than her or my dad.

nursemc
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I was definitely moody and disrespectful and I remember having all sorts of excuses about how mean my parents were and how they didn't deserve respect because they didn't give me any and blah blah blah. That being said, I think in some ways my parents had it a little easier than I do. My mom used to complain about me being messy. She has no idea what that word really means. My 3yo is not too messy but the 11yo is a pig. My mom also used to say I was a picky eater, again she doesn't know the half of it. Yes, there are things I don't like and like most kids I was resistant to new things but my kids both have a list of about 6 things they eat and that's it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)