Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How Spoiled Is Your Child?

Top 10 Cities With 'Most Spoiled' Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager

presentsFor the most part, I don't care how other parents parent their own kids. After all, what does it have to do with MY kid? But I am starting to hate parents who spoil their kids

So I have to say a company that's claiming they have a list of the cities with the most spoiled kids (and of course the cities with the least spoiled kids) made me curious. Could we be looking at a giant warning sign for parents who don't want to be sucked into buying their kids a bunch of crap they don't need because we want to keep up with the Joneses?

The thing is, I never thought my kid would be spoiled. Not even when we made the decision to be one and done. And then she started elementary school. In came the wants. No. Wait. The needs! "Mommy, I need this," she insists. Because, of course, so-and-so in her class has it, so therefore, she must have it too. You see the problem?

It's like a virus that spreads. One parent spoils their kid, and the next kid starts whining, and finally THAT parent gets guilted into making a purchase, and so on and so on. For the most part, we just say no. That's our jobs. But there's only so much whining one can take, and we all have to give in some time. Let's just say there was a lot of "but everyone has one" that led to the handheld gaming system charging in my living room outlet right now.

Tracking "spoiled kids" by city doesn't surprise me in the least. So here's the skinny:

Bundle, the compiler of the spoiled kids list, used the average amounts spent at stores that sell toys, clothing, and other kid accoutrements to judge whether parents were going overboard on their kids. Their data puts Manhattan at the top of the list, followed by Brooklyn, New York; then Miami, Florida. Minneapolis and Tulsa round out the top five. Los Angeles -- home to all those celebrity parents -- makes the top 10, as does Dallas, Texas, land of living large.

I was set to say that it was all about the cost of living -- Manhattan, after all, is an expensive place, so people are going to have to spend more on a box of blocks, right? But get this. Number five "most spoiled" city Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a cost of living that's just about equal to Madison, Wisconsin, the city that gets the billing of LEAST spoiled in the country. Not to mention the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are a total split -- the former is on the most spoiled list, but the latter is full of parents who are making their kids make do.

So what should you do if you don't want to have to listen to a kid harping (and be the mean mom who says "NO" all the time?)? Avoid the following:

• Miami, FL
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Dallas, TX
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • San Diego, CA
  • Ft. Worth, TX

Now move to Madison, Wisconsin; St. Paul, Minnesota; or Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They're the three cities where spoiling is truly out of style!

Are your kids spoiled? In what ways?

How do you avoid spoiling your kids?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
Renee47
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Mine is pretty spoiled.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Here is the link to the orginal article from Yahoo that I read last week. It also lists the 10 cities that spoil their kids the least.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/cities-where-kids-most-spoiled-201700290.html

I'm confused by this article because Minneapolis is listed on the top 10 and St Paul is listed in the least 10. Usually, they're ranked together since it's the same metro area and they cities are side-by-side. I wonder how they made that big of a distinction between the two cities?

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I have an only child, and I think it's really easy to indulge a child when you only have one. He has a couple friends that are onlies too and a couple friends with siblings, and I've noticed that the onlies do tend to have more material things or more extra curricular activities.

But just because my son is spoiled, it doesn't mean he's a spoiled brat. We make sure he's grateful for the things we give him. He recognizes that we give him things because we want to and that we work hard to indulge him in some respects. We've also taught him the value of a dollar and saving for things too. If we felt he was taking our occasional indulgences on him for granted, things would change.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are not spoiled by being given whatever they want. We don't buy into the whole "everyone else has it" argument. My kids are spoiled with love.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, not spoiled.  I just smelled them and checked their expiration date and they are fine. lol

All I can say is luckily Pittsburgh didn't make the list.

JakobLukasMom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM
It's ironic that Minneapolis is 4th & St Paul just 5 min away is one of the least spoiled. We live in a burb of St Paul. :). Anyway, I don't being spoiled is about material objects. It's about gratitude, expectations and responsibility. It's about the sense of entitlement that so many kids have these days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quoting JakobLukasMom:

It's ironic that Minneapolis is 4th & St Paul just 5 min away is one of the least spoiled. We live in a burb of St Paul. :). Anyway, I don't being spoiled is about material objects. It's about gratitude, expectations and responsibility. It's about the sense of entitlement that so many kids have these days.

I must live near you!

mik1of3
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Mine has never wanted for anything....but God blessed us with a kid who really won't ask for anything, so giving to her has always been a joy.   We go to stores, she admires something, we ask her if she wants it...she's always said, "Nah, that's okay."   No temper tantrums, no pouting...and considering she goes to a private school where we are considered 'poor' (although by no means of the imagination are we poor), I think that's amazing!

Now, at 15, she's starting to ask--she wants a smartphone, and to take Drivers Ed, but we've told her she's old enough to start paying for those things herself, and I'm proud to say she's finding ways to do just that.

mik1of3
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I have an only child, and I think it's really easy to indulge a child when you only have one. He has a couple friends that are onlies too and a couple friends with siblings, and I've noticed that the onlies do tend to have more material things or more extra curricular activities.

But just because my son is spoiled, it doesn't mean he's a spoiled brat. We make sure he's grateful for the things we give him. He recognizes that we give him things because we want to and that we work hard to indulge him in some respects. We've also taught him the value of a dollar and saving for things too. If we felt he was taking our occasional indulgences on him for granted, things would change.

Same here.  Our daughter is an only, so we've been able to give her pretty much everything her peers have.  But since she's involved in a lot of community leagues and teams, she sees every day how lucky she is....and we also make sure she understands the value of a dollar.  The first time we get an 'entitlement' attitude, will be the last.

HoosierMom2JB
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM

My kids are very well taken care, I do not like the word spoiled because it is usually used to imply bratty, and DD & DS are not brats. They do get just about everything they want but they are both well behaved, honor roll students who participate in tons of sports and who both volunteer with our church working for various charities. They both understand that their father and I work very hard to provide for them and they both work very hard in school, sports and volunteering to earn the things they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)