Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How Spoiled Is Your Child?

Top 10 Cities With 'Most Spoiled' Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager

presentsFor the most part, I don't care how other parents parent their own kids. After all, what does it have to do with MY kid? But I am starting to hate parents who spoil their kids

So I have to say a company that's claiming they have a list of the cities with the most spoiled kids (and of course the cities with the least spoiled kids) made me curious. Could we be looking at a giant warning sign for parents who don't want to be sucked into buying their kids a bunch of crap they don't need because we want to keep up with the Joneses?

The thing is, I never thought my kid would be spoiled. Not even when we made the decision to be one and done. And then she started elementary school. In came the wants. No. Wait. The needs! "Mommy, I need this," she insists. Because, of course, so-and-so in her class has it, so therefore, she must have it too. You see the problem?

It's like a virus that spreads. One parent spoils their kid, and the next kid starts whining, and finally THAT parent gets guilted into making a purchase, and so on and so on. For the most part, we just say no. That's our jobs. But there's only so much whining one can take, and we all have to give in some time. Let's just say there was a lot of "but everyone has one" that led to the handheld gaming system charging in my living room outlet right now.

Tracking "spoiled kids" by city doesn't surprise me in the least. So here's the skinny:

Bundle, the compiler of the spoiled kids list, used the average amounts spent at stores that sell toys, clothing, and other kid accoutrements to judge whether parents were going overboard on their kids. Their data puts Manhattan at the top of the list, followed by Brooklyn, New York; then Miami, Florida. Minneapolis and Tulsa round out the top five. Los Angeles -- home to all those celebrity parents -- makes the top 10, as does Dallas, Texas, land of living large.

I was set to say that it was all about the cost of living -- Manhattan, after all, is an expensive place, so people are going to have to spend more on a box of blocks, right? But get this. Number five "most spoiled" city Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a cost of living that's just about equal to Madison, Wisconsin, the city that gets the billing of LEAST spoiled in the country. Not to mention the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are a total split -- the former is on the most spoiled list, but the latter is full of parents who are making their kids make do.

So what should you do if you don't want to have to listen to a kid harping (and be the mean mom who says "NO" all the time?)? Avoid the following:

• Miami, FL
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Dallas, TX
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • San Diego, CA
  • Ft. Worth, TX

Now move to Madison, Wisconsin; St. Paul, Minnesota; or Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They're the three cities where spoiling is truly out of style!

Are your kids spoiled? In what ways?

How do you avoid spoiling your kids?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
la_bella_vita
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM

My kids only get spoiled for their christmas and birthday. We spoil them year round with family day trips, outings and vacations (if that counts) and we spoil them with love <3

Nuncius
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

This article is interesting for me.

I'm French and in France we don't spoil kids.

I mean not only by ''buying things'' but also by not ''letting them doing what they want to do''... behavior is as important as having a lot of toys. I have some american friends here and I wonder if americans are all spoiling their kids like my friends... I mean when they were invited in my house with their son (5) and their daughter (2), they let them destroying my house!!! Kids did what they wanted, destroyed everything and the parents didn't say a word to them!!! I was shocked by their behavior. And the mom seeing how I felt about it asked me: if you're not happy with what they're doing, explain to them... But in France if you ''talk'' to a child who is not yours in front of his parents, that;s very rude!!! So I didn't say a word and I just wonder how other american moms behave with their kids in a friend's house??? Please , please tell me know, because I'm so scared of their kids!!!

And to answer to the question: no I'm not spoiling my daughter. She's 8 month and I have already started to teach her ''NO''.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this

aanngg
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM

my kids are spoiled, but the way I humble them is by giving them an extra chore, I say "yes" I can get you everything but that would only hurt you in adulthood.  I remind them that you have to work for what you have this way you learn good work ethic.  (unfortunately my oldest teeters on this horrible spoiled phase-thing) I think I went wrong somewhere. God help me.  

Barabell
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

There are some American parents that act that way, but it's not common in the area where I live. When my son visits someone's house, I make sure he's respectful of their stuff. If makes a mess while playing with a friend, I make sure he helps clean up the mess before we leave. I found most of his friends have the same expectations from their parents too.

Quoting Nuncius:

I mean not only by ''buying things'' but also by not ''letting them doing what they want to do''... behavior is as important as having a lot of toys. I have some american friends here and I wonder if americans are all spoiling their kids like my friends... I mean when they were invited in my house with their son (5) and their daughter (2), they let them destroying my house!!! Kids did what they wanted, destroyed everything and the parents didn't say a word to them!!! I was shocked by their behavior. And the mom seeing how I felt about it asked me: if you're not happy with what they're doing, explain to them... But in France if you ''talk'' to a child who is not yours in front of his parents, that;s very rude!!! So I didn't say a word and I just wonder how other american moms behave with their kids in a friend's house??? Please , please tell me know, because I'm so scared of their kids!!!

And to answer to the question: no I'm not spoiling my daughter. She's 8 month and I have already started to teach her ''NO''.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I would never let my kids act that way in another's home. They know to use their manners, clean up after themselves and to be respectable to the host/hostess.

Quoting Nuncius:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nuncius
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM

To Barabell and psych_mom : thanks for telling me that.... to be honest I was really wondering if it was me who was asking too much to their kids... so again thank you.

JoGibson
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

They have more than most kids do, but they are good kids. I think their attitude is tempered by seeing the foster kids that come into our home with so little.

Barabell
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Nuncius:

To Barabell and psych_mom : thanks for telling me that.... to be honest I was really wondering if it was me who was asking too much to their kids... so again thank you.

You're welcome. :-)

BTW - My son is fluent in French. He just graduated from a French immersion elementary school earlier this month. Too bad your child isn't older. I'd love for him to have a penpal from France to improve and keep up his fluency.

Nuncius
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM

To Barabell: She has just started to say Maman :) so yes too little indeed! That's great he knows 2 languages! Do you have here kind of association with foreigners kids address? You pay a cheap price to have a contact with another child who wish the same. When I was a kid I did this with my mum. Its was great. I had contact with a German little girl. We wrote letters to each other without meeting, giving drawings, map, sharing our lives, etc. That was a fantastic experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN