Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

Does this happen to you or your DH/SO?

According to a recent study by Harris Interactive, an Internet-based market research firm, 57 percent of Americans ended 2011 with unused vacation time, failing to take, on average, 11 of their allotted days off — or 70 percent of what they’d rightfully earned. Other national surveys have calculated that as many as 66 percent of us keep working when we could be kicking back somewhere, leaving unused a total of 459 million vacation days. 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM

When we were younger, yes, I found this to be true. Now, not so much. We take all of our earned vacation time throughout the year.

Strega
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
We make sure that the Husband uses his 2 Weeks every year. He also uses his sick & personal days up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I don't have to worry about this, since I don't get vacation time.  I'm going to guess that my husband doesn't use all of his, but I don't know for sure.  I don't even know how much vacation time that he gets really.  He has 3 weeks scheduled this year, one was in late May, another in July and one in Aug.  He takes a day off here and there too.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM
My husband's vacation time can roll over to the next year and he can cash it in. With him only working Sat-Mon it is very hard for him to use 3 weeks worth of vacation a year. If he takes a weekend off he is off for almost 2 weeks straight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Guilty here - but not so much by choice.

Every time DH takes vacation he is still "on" for work. We cut our last vacation short because they had a problem that couldn't be solved so he went in.

Oh - and recovering from surgery uninterrupted from work? Yeah, not likely. His boss called the same day - knowing FULL WELL that DH had surgery.

Sick at home with norovirus? Heck, you can hold a phone while you're on the toilet, right? Matter of fact, since you're sitting, there's no reason you can't hold a laptop and deal with office crises.  Yep, that's how it works here.

DH has an ungodly amount of unused vacation time...

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Is he in IT? My husband is and when you're on call nothing else matters. Mine works for a hospital and if something breaks it's all hands on deck until the problem is fixed. I'm not going to complain though. They didn't cut staff when tons of places around were doing lay offs throughout this recession so I'm thankful.

Quoting auroragold:

Every time DH takes vacation he is still "on" for work. We cut our last vacation short because they had a problem that couldn't be solved so he went in.

Oh - and recovering from surgery uninterrupted from work? Yeah, not likely. His boss called the same day - knowing FULL WELL that DH had surgery.

Sick at home with norovirus? Heck, you can hold a phone while you're on the toilet, right? Matter of fact, since you're sitting, there's no reason you can't hold a laptop and deal with office crises.  Yep, that's how it works here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM

LOL

Yes, IT

and also healthcare - but not for direct caregivers....

The company treats him well, but days off are merely non-existent.

Quoting psych_mom:

Is he in IT? My husband is and when you're on call nothing else matters. Mine works for a hospital and if something breaks it's all hands on deck until the problem is fixed. I'm not going to complain though. They didn't cut staff when tons of places around were doing lay offs throughout this recession so I'm thankful.

Quoting auroragold:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)