Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

School uniforms

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 9 Replies
Are you for them or against them. Recently two of my daughters school have went to school uniforms. I was not so trilled about it. Everytime I would drop her off I kept thinking that the kids all looked like office workers. Then there is the budget for school clothes by the time you buy the uniforms it leaves very little for everyday clothes.
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I don't care for them. I think it's usually for the parent's convenience more than to benefit the kids. Schools usually still have a dress code, and so there is a certain standard that still has to be met. Fortunately, my son has not gone to a school with uniforms.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I don't like them either. I think kids need to be able to explore and express their individuality, within the set dress code.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE THEM!!!  It's so much easier to get them going in the morning.  They have only a few choices.  They are still able to express themselves through their hairstyle, shoes, and socks.  I feel like I'm saving a lot of money because of school uniforms.  We buy from here and it's so much cheaper: http://thechildrenswearoutlet.com/

In this last year, we probably spent about $100 all year for 3 girls. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Also, our school is VERY diverse...not just racially but religiously, socio-economically, and more!  We have kids that live in a gated community with house up to 3000 sq feet and we have kids that are section 8.  It does help neutralize the environment more.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I hate them and will not let my kids attend a school that has uniforms.  I find it to be a huge waste of money having to buy 2 sets of clothing for my kids, the uniforms and then every day clothes.  Not to mention the added laundry since they'd wear the uniform to school and then regular clothes in the evening, so 2 sets of clothing per day instead of 1 if they didn't have uniforms.

momof6nokc
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

My 2 kids attend a private Catholic school and have had uniforms since Day 1.

My older children attended public school without uniforms.

I am not a fan of uniforms, LOL.

I choose to buy 5 sets of uniforms per kid so as not to have to do laundry through the week.  That isn't usually a concern when your kids get to wear street clothes.

Then you have to buy pretty much a full wardrobe of playclothes as well since you don't want your kids playing in their uniform after school.  And then there's the weekends which need clothes.  You really save no money buying uniforms.

Next, the myth of evening the playing field among wealthy and not so wealthy?  Nah, doesn't happen.  BELIEVE ME children find a way to show status symbols, even with such a strict policy as the Catholic schools tend to have.  Their socks, although not allowed to have logos, will be status symbols.  Hairbands and hairties are status symbols.  Those girls KNOW who has JCrew and the latest brands including Izod. Did you know Izod puts an alligator on their headbands?  The Catholic school girls know it!

Belts, shoes, watches, religious jewelry, etc. all has status symbol value if they are the "right" ones.

Let's not get started on jackets and sweaters.  You have never seen so much NorthFace in your whole life as you will in my kids playground.

Backpacks, purses, lunchboxes, notebooks?  Yep, all status symbols.  Vera Bradley makes a killing at our school. Did you know Juicy Couture makes locker accessories and notebooks, Iphone covers, etc.?

I am learning all of these things along with my DD.  My son is not yet at the age when those things matter, but my DD12 is in full blown, want to fit in, want to have what all the other girls have mode. 

Uniforms suck  :o(

It's very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage.  Or, as I like to call it:  'marriage'.  You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch.  I parked my car, I didn't gay park it." 

~Liz Feldman~

mommybug77
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
No issue for us. The public schools including lots of high schools here have them
mnmo3bb
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Not against them. Our family adheres to a dress code we have all agreed to. It is slightly stricter when we go to church or coop. They are involved in the shopping and are allowed to pick outfits wherever we go within the rules we have set up. It is out of respect for ourselves and others that we dress modestly. I want to teach my children at a young age to dress appropriately for whatever occasion they are going to. They each have their own "style" or preferences, favorite colors animals/characters they choose to wear that remain within the boundaries we have set.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM
We are going to them and me and my daughter are both happy about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)