Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans
Do your tweens still use a booster?

Mine tweens just turned 9 (4'6"/ 56inches & 59lbs) and still use a hbb. Does anyone elses tween? If no, what age did they stop?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
hollydaze1974
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM
On his eight birthday, we made a big deal about setting his booster on fire....HOWEVER, AT that time, 8 Was the age limit and totally met the hieght/weight requirement while being seven.
I have a two yr old in a five point now, I'm very concerned that they will change the rules slowly every year until I'M IN A CARSEAT! I am five ft even and the hieght requirement is something like 4"9' or higher..someone will correct me :)
Point being, me quit at eight because we could....and because he reached my chin already.
At twelve, heck yeah, he sat in the front seat and I won't force back to the back seat just because the rules changed AGAIN
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

My 12 almost 13 yr old came out of his around 9. That is when the seatbelt in my truck started fitting him properly. 

My 9 almost 10 yr old is still very much in one. He takes his with him everywhere. Last month he hauled his up to a baseball game. The coach was going to drop him off at the fire station for me if they game ended before I got back from my physcial. CJ's first question was "do you have space for my booster?" He goes away for the weekend with friends, and takes it. He has no shame in still needing it. He knows we only get 1 CJ to love and that we have to what we can to keep him safe.

I have MANY friends that took their children out just because they turned the "magic" age (8) set by the state. *sigh*

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM
My Kiki is very much like your CJ. She uses a hbb in our van but she has a spare lbb that she uses when she goes with friends. She doesn't care if her friends use them or not--she's going to use hers. She wants to be safe.

One of my best friends complained earlier this year because she had to put her 6yo ds back in a booster because of the new law. He is TINY, and should've been in a booster regardless. It was all I could do to not go off on her about safety...Her 8yo dd should be a booster, based on the way the seatbelt fits her, but she is not. :(

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

My 12 almost 13 yr old came out of his around 9. That is when the seatbelt in my truck started fitting him properly. 

My 9 almost 10 yr old is still very much in one. He takes his with him everywhere. Last month he hauled his up to a baseball game. The coach was going to drop him off at the fire station for me if they game ended before I got back from my physcial. CJ's first question was "do you have space for my booster?" He goes away for the weekend with friends, and takes it. He has no shame in still needing it. He knows we only get 1 CJ to love and that we have to what we can to keep him safe.

I have MANY friends that took their children out just because they turned the "magic" age (8) set by the state. *sigh*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

It is women from Church that are posting on Facebook that "XYZ is 8 today, good bye Booster." I went as far as "asking one of them to rethink it" and posting the link to the 5 step test (or whatever they call it). Her 8 yr old dd is a bit smaller than my CJ. 

Some of them will ask me or my DH, and go with the advice given... others just do it their way. 

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

My Kiki is very much like your CJ. She uses a hbb in our van but she has a spare lbb that she uses when she goes with friends. She doesn't care if her friends use them or not--she's going to use hers. She wants to be safe.

One of my best friends complained earlier this year because she had to put her 6yo ds back in a booster because of the new law. He is TINY, and should've been in a booster regardless. It was all I could do to not go off on her about safety...Her 8yo dd should be a booster, based on the way the seatbelt fits her, but she is not. :(

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I'm just thankful California has the 8yrs or 4'9" law. So many places have no booster laws at all. :(

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

It is women from Church that are posting on Facebook that "XYZ is 8 today, good bye Booster." I went as far as "asking one of them to rethink it" and posting the link to the 5 step test (or whatever they call it). Her 8 yr old dd is a bit smaller than my CJ. 

Some of them will ask me or my DH, and go with the advice given... others just do it their way. 

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

NY is still an age, and not a height/weight

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I'm just thankful California has the 8yrs or 4'9" law. So many places have no booster laws at all. :(

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

kit73
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM
My son stopped using his at about 7-1/2, but he's very tall. At 10-3/4, he's 61-1/2" and 95 pounda. Wiith his back against the back of the seat, his knees could properly bend over the front edge of the seat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM
My second ds is in a lowback booster, 9yo 54" and 67lbs. He can *legally* ride without the booster but the car seat strap rides high on his belly and into his neck so he still needs the booster. I just had to look this up:

Ohio's Booster Seat Law

As of Oct. 7, 2009, Ohio’s children are required to use belt-positioning booster seats once they outgrow their child safety seats (usually at 4 years old and 40 pounds) until they are 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches (57 inches) tall.  
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SourRoses
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM

nope he's not DD 9 is still in one for the same reason. :)

Quoting WritingMom777:

DS is 10 and begging to be out of his booster seat but he is too short for the seatbelt to fit properly.  I know he isn't the only kid still using one, though.

sillymumof2
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Mine is 6...n I don't see him getting out if it till he's at least 8... He's very tall...about 54 inches. I just don't feel safe with even thinking about him getting out of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)