Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

My oldest DD has a bit of a weight problem. it isn't horrible, she just gets tubby really easily. during the school year, sheis involved in a bunch of extra curriculars that keep her physically active (volleyball club, choir, etc) and she also has recess, so she get plenty of exercise. During the summer, it is not the same, so she always gains a bunch of weight. There really isn't any low cost local thing she can do-everythig always costs an arm and a leg, and it is too hot to go to the park or have her running aorund outside.

And it isn't like She is getting filled full of junk food. I only buy fruits and veggies for snacks (don't do anything but rice vinegar for saucs, since it has zero claories), do lean meats and veggies for dinner, etc. Everybody else in the fmily is a normal, healthy weight. She just happens to be the heavy one.

We are trying out zumba for a bit to see if that helps, but I can't wait for school to start so that she can run some of this stuff off.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-16):
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

She is not as active in the summer, though hardly inactive. I am concerned about her weight because she IS overweight. I don't bring it up to her, I just make sure to not buy so much junkfood for anyone in the house. If it isn't therre, she can't eat it. Anyway, most of the people in her father's family are extremely overweight, and I just don't want her to end up like them-unhealty. She has always been a larger girl, and her docs are getting worried about her.

Quoting Barabell:

If she's eating healthy and is normally active, then I don't see what the issue is. I'm a little concerned that you're focusing a little too much on her weight which could lead to self esteem issues for her.

Or is the issue that she's not active in the summer? I'm confused.

TempestRayne
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I hadn't thought of that! thank you!

Quoting MB13:

If she likes dancing, you can borrow many dance and exercise videos from the library for free!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Technically, weight doesn't equal health. If she has healthy habits of eating proper nutrition and staying active, then that's what's important. In fact, some underweight people can have poor health because they're not getting enough nutrition or may be inactive. Personally, I think you're focusing on her weight too much from what you've described. Don't forget that she is also growing, and sometimes kids do put on a little extra weight before growth spurts. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

She is not as active in the summer, though hardly inactive. I am concerned about her weight because she IS overweight. I don't bring it up to her, I just make sure to not buy so much junkfood for anyone in the house. If it isn't therre, she can't eat it. Anyway, most of the people in her father's family are extremely overweight, and I just don't want her to end up like them-unhealty. She has always been a larger girl, and her docs are getting worried about her.

Quoting Barabell:

If she's eating healthy and is normally active, then I don't see what the issue is. I'm a little concerned that you're focusing a little too much on her weight which could lead to self esteem issues for her.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

How overweight is she? If she is only about 15-20 pounds I wouldn't be too worried. If we are talking 50-100 pounds then I would start getting concerned. Some people's body's do hold onto weight easier and if she is more active during the school year and then becomes more sedentary during the summer then her body will hold onto more weight because her metabolism is slowing down during that time. I think that a lot of the ladies have given some great suggestions, especially joining the Y or a gym which could help start a healthy habit now while she is young that she could carry over into adulthood to keep this from being an issue then.

Quoting TempestRayne:

Quoting Barabell:

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Can you take her swimming somewhere? Go for bike rides in the morning? Play an XBox Kinect?

My children play summer soccer and are doing various camps. They also play outside a lot and we do a lot of active family activities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madammeke
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Fruits have lots of sugar and what probably does her in is the sudden lack of excersise. Even when you are inside you can excersises. Do you have Netflix? tons of videos on that, the whole family can do it. In the afternoon when it cools down, shoot some hoops or take a stroll to the neighborhood. All of these dont cost anything extra. Do a contest who can do the most sit-ups.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)