Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans
Ok, I noticed a few of you said your kids have smartphones (iPhone's and Blackberries). Do they help pay for the data or a portion of the bill? What helped you decide they were ready for it? do they have terms, conditions or limits attached to the phone???

I am not criticizing, just wondering. My youngest dd bought her first cell phone with her own money at the age of 7, she had enough with her (unbeknownst to me) to pay for the phone and purchase additional minutes. After that point she did odd jobs for neighbors, friends and family to pay for minutes when she needed them, or offered to do extra chores around our house in exchange for me purchasing minutes. Since she had proven to be responsible and her amount of money being spent each month was well over the additional $10 it would cost to add her to our plan, we decided to surprise her this past Xmas with a phone and being added to our plan. She still does a few additional chores to "earn" or contribute to her portion of the bill. Now she is starting to talk about, ask about and drool over smartphones when she is eligible for her upgrade (2 years from this past Xmas). I have basically come to the conclusion on that issue as being-my husband and I have a smartphone because we are adults and he is able to afford that luxury for us (and yes, we consider it a luxury since we grew up with a corded phone, attached to a wall, and a rotary dial). She will only be not quite 11 at that point and I really don't see how her phone needs are so great that she will need a smartphone. So I kind of said, if you want a smartphone, I have no problem with you being on our plan, but in order for me to be willing to let you have a data plan added, you will have to pay me for one years worth of data fee's in advance-$360.

So is that unrealistic? Unfair? Or am I just not at that point with a tween/teen to see the need for it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (21-27):
JMKristy
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM
That sounds perfectly reasonable to me! My sons do not have smart phones partially because the cost, but also because I do not feel they need access to the internet away from home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catngabsmom
by Erica on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM
My girls have iPod touches, my etire town is a wifi hotspot, the schools are all wifi, not much i can do to stop them from going on the internet. I just have to trust that they follow my wishes on what they should or should not do.

Quoting JMKristy:

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me! My sons do not have smart phones partially because the cost, but also because I do not feel they need access to the internet away from home!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anamacsmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM
My DD has a smartphone, it's on the android system. She has it only because hubby works for cell phone company. She does pay for the cost with her chore money
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RayneofTerror
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:37 AM
Our oldest dd has an iPhone and we pay all the fees. She does plenty around the house with out to much of a fuss.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM
My 12yo dd does have a smartphone. She does not pay for her data per se...She helps out with her younger siblings to earn it. She knows exactly what she needs to do to earn the amount of her data package; she usually goes above and beyond anyway because that's the kind of kid she is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
How young is too young in your opinion? My DS is turning 11 next week & despretly wants a cell. My sis wants to buy him a prepaid one. Paying for it is not an issue he has already been doing househokd chores for years & helps with my 5 yr DD whenever needed. I'm just not sure what's the best age cuz I didn't have my first cell until high school.
catngabsmom
by Erica on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in my later 20's when I got my first cell phone, in high school we used the payphone attached to the wall and put two dimes in it.

Gabbi had a pre-paid initially, i was spending $25-40 monthly to keep minutes on it. She did stuff to "earn" it, but the money was still coming out of my pocket. Now she is on my plan and it costs $10 a month.

Quoting MJNMADDYSMOMMY:

How young is too young in your opinion? My DS is turning 11 next week & despretly wants a cell. My sis wants to buy him a prepaid one. Paying for it is not an issue he has already been doing househokd chores for years & helps with my 5 yr DD whenever needed. I'm just not sure what's the best age cuz I didn't have my first cell until high school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN