Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Have You Ever Heard of Water Intoxication?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:51 AM
  • 17 Replies



12-Year-Old Dies From Drinking Too Much Water

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

waterThe game likely seemed innocuous enough -- water poker. There were no drugs or alcohol involved, nor any naughty strip poker shenanigans. It was just a group of kids playing cards, in which the loser of each hand had to drink a glass of water. Tragically, however, that innocent- sounding game came to a deadly end for a 12-year-old girl.

It happened recently in Finland at a boarding school. According to the UPI, the well-liked girl was playing the game with friends, and she must have lost quite a few hands, as she drank more than six quarts of water in all. Then just hours later she was found ill, vomiting, and taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced brain dead. She died three days later. The cause: Water intoxication.

It's absolutely tragic that such a game could kill a young girl. Those kids probably had no idea it could have such deadly consequences. Before I read this story, if my son asked me if he could play a game with such rules, I'd have told him sure and would have counted my blessings that he was into such innocent fun. Unfortunately, this game is anything but innocent.

This was an extreme case, but it has happened before. A few years back a California woman died from water intoxication after participating in a radio station's contest to see how much water contestants could drink without going to the bathroom -- "Hold Your Wee for a Wii".

According to Scientific America, ingesting too much water leads to an insufficient amount of salt in one's blood. When salt levels get too low, the kidneys can't function correctly, and it can lead to swelling of the brain. Symptoms include things like headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and mental disorientation. It's incredible that water -- something we typically think of being such a healthy thing to ingest -- can do such damage.

While tragic, this certainly doesn't' mean we need to start putting a lock on our water faucets or grilling our kids about how much water they're drinking. But I guess like anything else, it's good to be aware of the dangers out there. And, of course, it's yet another reminder to teach our kids that moderation in most everything we do is usually prudent.

Would you have ever thought to fear an overdose of water?

Have you even heard of this before?

 

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I've heard of it before. My understanding is that you have to drink A LOT of water before you hit that point.

mgm_5
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Yes, that's what some lady died of when trying to win tickets from a radio station
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildCat73
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

wasn't that in California. Holding wee for the Wii ( i woner if the family ever sued or not)

Quoting mgm_5:

Yes, that's what some lady died of when trying to win tickets from a radio station


ksbondgirl
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yes.  There was a radio contest a few years ago where a dj created some contest for a prize that wasn't even worth the effort.  A woman won and then died.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Yes, I believe it was here in Sacramento.

Quoting WildCat73:

wasn't that in California. Holding wee for the Wii ( i woner if the family ever sued or not)

Quoting mgm_5:

Yes, that's what some lady died of when trying to win tickets from a radio station


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I've heard of it being possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mgm_5
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Yea I think so, im almost positive the family sued, not sure what they got out of it tho

Quoting WildCat73:

wasn't that in California. Holding wee for the Wii ( i woner if the family ever sued or not)

Quoting mgm_5:

Yes, that's what some lady died of when trying to win tickets from a radio station


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I have heard of it.

smfox
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

 I heard of this happening a few years back.  A girl had been doing ecstasy and had drank a ton of water and died from water intoxication. 

fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I have heard of it. I have not heard of it bbeing used to play poker!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)