Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would You Be Tempted To 'Inflate' Your Childs Grades?

Hacking Into a School Computer to Change Your Kids' Grades Is a Major Parenting FAIL

Posted by Jeanne Sager

homeworkWe all want our kids to get good grades. How else can we brag about them at dinner parties will we feel like they're being prepped for the real world? Now the big question is: how far would you go to make sure it happens? Here's hoping you'd draw the line before you get to this mom's level.

Pennsylvania cops say Catherine Venusto actually hacked into the computers at her kids' school so she could change their grades. Well, hacked is giving her a little too much credit. A former secretary of the district, apparently Venusto had a password. But still ...

I think these allegations rank her right up there on top of the "idiot parents" list, don't you? The cops say she changed her daughter's failing grade to a "medical exception," and boosted her son's 98 to a 99 (as if he REALLY needed it).

Last time I checked, the reason we're proud of our kids when they get a good grade is because it represents something worth applauding. It means they actually know the material in a certain course. And, Lord willing and the creek don't rise (seriously, I've always wanted an excuse to use that phrase), they will actually be able to put all that "learnin'" to use one day.

Go ahead and call me a hard@ss, but I actually loved that my daughter's teacher last year was tough on her. The fact that she graduated from first grade actually knowing something made up for every single homework fight. EVERY one.

I can't say I never wish a magic "perfect grade" fairy came to my house. But then I think about all those kids whose parents' brag about their kid who makes such good grades ... but the kid is really kind of a dullard because his parents' do it all. Thanks but no thanks.

What about you?

Would you be tempted to help your kids inflate their grades?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Replies (11-16):
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Sure, by encouraging studying, prudent planning and hard work.

acrogodess
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

No. 

I will be homeschooling this yr for the first time and I already told them their work will not be as easy as their public school work was.

bmw29
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM
When my son was younger some work was in my handwriting. He had fine motor delays and if his hands cramped up or he was getting too frustrated then we had to help. His teacher knew and actually suggested it. However he dictated and I wrote whatever he said no matter how wrong or ridiculous. LOL

Quoting MB13:

As a teacher, I have even seen homework done in the parent's handwriting! LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Yes, I had some special needs students that had this option as part of their ILP, but those are not the students that I am talking about! LOL 

Quoting bmw29:

When my son was younger some work was in my handwriting. He had fine motor delays and if his hands cramped up or he was getting too frustrated then we had to help. His teacher knew and actually suggested it. However he dictated and I wrote whatever he said no matter how wrong or ridiculous. LOL

Quoting MB13:

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM
No.....because I see it as an assessment of what they can do and need improvement on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM
It's awful to see the projects that were turned in by some of the "kindergarteners"....I mean parents. Seriously, people???

Quoting MB13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)