Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

sd12 1st gyno exam?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM
  • 22 Replies
When should I take my SD for her 1st Gyno exam?? She is 12 and started her period about a yr ago. I know u should go when u become sexually active which she isn't. I'm just worried she may get confused when she starts middle school this year. I know all the kids talk about sex and stds and stuff. I also am thinking maybe she sholud be put on birth control so she is on it and familiar with it when the time comes that she needs it. I just don't know....and I have NO idea how to bring this up to dad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I didn't have my first gyno exam until I was 18 and in college.  My daughter is 14 and I don't plan on taking her until then either, unless she develops something that needs a gyno... like a yeast infection.  If she does get a yeast infection, we'll treat it first with otc meds and then go to the doc if needed.  I know my daughter and she isn't even remotely ready for boys yet.  As for teen sex... I plan to keep her so busy and supervised that she will have to wait until college (like I did) before she starts having sex.

je80ss
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Yeah I didn't go till 18 either...my sm asked if I wanted BC around 16 and I said no cause I was afraid of the exam. Also I don't plan on her having sex any time soon just wanted opinions and what others have done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM
I believe they are suppose to go when they start their period i think i was 17 like though. Im not sure when i'll take dd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnapIt
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
My gyn appt was when i was around 21

I dont think i would take my dd at this age. Maybe 15-16 is a better age but then again maybe its a good thing to start them off early since kids seem to be more aware about their bodies sex and periods. They wont be poking around at such a young age like a pap.

I will however if she does ask, listen to her and take her no matter what her age is. Especially if she gets bad cramps or heavy flows. That way she can hear it from a Dr and feel better about what her bidy is hoing through. Not all kids want to hear it coming from their parents, one can only try to explain. Its a good thing to have that honest and open door relationship so they can feel comfortable and not embarrassed as much as possible. Its unrealistic to think that kids will wait until they are 18 and in college to have sex or because you waited until that age, your kids will wait too. You cant be with them 24/7. But you can be there for them when they need to talk 24/7.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sillymumof2
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I think I was 15 when I first went... But as far as birth control... Id do it sooner than than later. My mom asked me if I wanted to b on it, n I said no cuz I didn't want her to think I was being sexually active. I was 15. I got pregnant just after I turned 16. If my mom just took me to the docs I would have been on it, but that was my mind at 15. Not thinking straight at all

(I do not blame my mom at all, I know it sounds like it butt it was my stubborn butts fault. Lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
our3
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Why in the world would you want to put a 12 yo on Birth control. Are you trying to give her permission to have sex? Because that all that will do.  Why not teach abstonance? Educate her , show her nasty pics of stds, be there for any questons she may have.  I would NEVER put a minor on birth control, just teach them to keep their legs shut and to make the right decisions.

As for the Gyno, no way. Sorry but I feel 12 is to young. My1st exam was at 21, unless their is a problem I will not put my child thru that.

je80ss
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Again, I am just asking what others have done because I have never raised a 12 yr old.  Also, she will be 13 in a few months.  I just think being in a new school with older kids (12-15) I may want to be more cautious.  Kids talk, experiment, etc. and I just want her to know that I'm not the only one she can talk to if she feels uncomfortable.  She has a good head on her shoulders and I don't think having sex has even crossed her mind.  I'm just wondering the right time...it seems to be about 16-21 when you all went....that's all. thanks for the input ladies.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I would wait until at least 16 to take her, but there really is no reason at that age. If you want to get her on bc before then her pediatrician can take care of that. I do agree that putting her on bc at a young age is kind of like saying it is okay to have sex. I would at this age stress the importance of not having sex and what the consequences are. I would then let her know that if she feels that she is moving in that direction in a relationship that she should come talk to you. At 15 if you still want to put her on bc, then it would be a better age than 12. I have had very candid conversations with my 11 yo son about what can happen if has sex with a girl while still in high school. If he gets her pregnant- he can kiss college football good bye because he has to get a job to support a child. I would stress things like that- it is never too early to start pointing out the hard parts of parenthood to children.

fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Lol LOTS of 12the year olds are having sex sadly. Better safe then sorry. Some girls need it to help with heavy flow as well.

Quoting our3:

Why in the world would you want to put a 12 yo on Birth control. Are you trying to give her permission to have sex? Because that all that will do.  Why not teach abstonance? Educate her , show her nasty pics of stds, be there for any questons she may have.  I would NEVER put a minor on birth control, just teach them to keep their legs shut and to make the right decisions.

As for the Gyno, no way. Sorry but I feel 12 is to young. My1st exam was at 21, unless their is a problem I will not put my child thru that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Just keep communication open. We will also keep condoms on hand. Better safe then ruining your life :)

Quoting je80ss:

Again, I am just asking what others have done because I have never raised a 12 yr old.  Also, she will be 13 in a few months.  I just think being in a new school with older kids (12-15) I may want to be more cautious.  Kids talk, experiment, etc. and I just want her to know that I'm not the only one she can talk to if she feels uncomfortable.  She has a good head on her shoulders and I don't think having sex has even crossed her mind.  I'm just wondering the right time...it seems to be about 16-21 when you all went....that's all. thanks for the input ladies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)