Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

sd12 1st gyno exam?

Posted by   + Show Post
When should I take my SD for her 1st Gyno exam?? She is 12 and started her period about a yr ago. I know u should go when u become sexually active which she isn't. I'm just worried she may get confused when she starts middle school this year. I know all the kids talk about sex and stds and stuff. I also am thinking maybe she sholud be put on birth control so she is on it and familiar with it when the time comes that she needs it. I just don't know....and I have NO idea how to bring this up to dad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
auroragold
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally, we'll be waiting until DD is in her late teens if at all possible.

We will not recommend birth control that requires a prescription as we don't feel the need to add chemicals and hormones to her body (I managed to not get pregnant fine without going on the pill in my youth).

We'll be teaching about condom use rather than chemicals since the pill or IUD don't prevent against STD's

TempestRayne
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

My first exam was when I was 16. I had cysts that crp up when I ovulate though, and that is why.

minimo77
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Uhm, I think they say at age 18 unless they are having sex. Why would starting middle school confuse her and what does that have to do with a gyn exam? lol

Birth control- Unless you think she plans on going out and having sex, I would wait, and encourage her to come to you/dad when/if the need arises.

scubamommy2001
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting our3:

Why in the world would you want to put a 12 yo on Birth control. Are you trying to give her permission to have sex? Because that all that will do.  Why not teach abstonance? Educate her , show her nasty pics of stds, be there for any questons she may have.  I would NEVER put a minor on birth control, just teach them to keep their legs shut and to make the right decisions.

As for the Gyno, no way. Sorry but I feel 12 is to young. My1st exam was at 21, unless their is a problem I will not put my child thru that.

Sex is not the only reason docs put girls on bc. They also do it to regulate periods and help with acne. She would not be giving her permission to have sex just because she offers the pill. If she is not active she probably wouldn't have to have the exam. My gyno didn't. All you need to do is ask.
auroragold
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally I would prefer a non-systemic way to deal with acne - and not use a total body affecting hormone that may well have long range affects.

Also, irregular periods are quite common at such a young age and, while annoying, are of little concern requiring hormones.

Quoting scubamommy2001:

Quoting our3:

Why in the world would you want to put a 12 yo on Birth control. Are you trying to give her permission to have sex? Because that all that will do.  Why not teach abstonance? Educate her , show her nasty pics of stds, be there for any questons she may have.  I would NEVER put a minor on birth control, just teach them to keep their legs shut and to make the right decisions.

As for the Gyno, no way. Sorry but I feel 12 is to young. My1st exam was at 21, unless their is a problem I will not put my child thru that.

Sex is not the only reason docs put girls on bc. They also do it to regulate periods and help with acne. She would not be giving her permission to have sex just because she offers the pill. If she is not active she probably wouldn't have to have the exam. My gyno didn't. All you need to do is ask.

scubamommy2001
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Quoting auroragold:

True.
Cindy18
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My doctor didn't do a gyno examine until my DD was active. 

Unless you have a reason to believe your SD need BC, I wouldn't put her on it just because. 

I put my DD on it at 14 because she was caught with her BF in her room doing god knows what. 

Just have the talk with her and be available if she has any questions.

jac77
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I have an almost 12 yr old, and am not taking her to the gyno anytime soon. I'm not an idiot however, and will know when my DD gets to that stage when it's prob a good idea. Ie, she gets a boyfriend. For all the moms who think it won't happen...you're being naive. My ex is a police officer in a upper class city. He works some ot for a skate ctr. He has found many 12yr olds engaging in inappropriate behavior behind moms back. One of which was giving oral to a boy in the bathroom. In his experience the homes where the kids are suffocated are just as bad as the ones w chaos. Be smart! Just know your kiddos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iceprincess214
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM
My doctor said exams are not necessary until they are 21 unless they are sexually active. I would never put my 12yo on birth control at this age!! My 17 yo was 15 before she got on birth control and I only put her on it then because she was in a relationship and it was getting serious.
Jammie209
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Some of you are writing from your heart & nothing reality. Unfortunately, too many young girls are have sex a lot younger then we did. I took my daughter the first time when she was 13. I was lucky, my insurance cover a gyno for younger girls. My dd already had her period for 3 yrs & it was completely irregular. Me, my dd, & her dr discussed different ways we could handle it. We desided a low dose bc was best. Me & them dr also let her know this didn't mean it was ok to have sex & other bad stuff (std) could happen if she wasn't completely prepared. They way I look at it is you know your child better than any of the moms on here, use your best judgement & do what's best for your daughter. Also, with ur dh, I sat down & told him what was going on. At first he had a hard time with it, his baby on bc, but then he thought about what it was like to be a teen. I told him that I didn't think dd was having sex but I'd rather have her educated & prepared. The other alternatives are far worse. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN