Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Fun family activity, Geocaching.

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.

Where are geocaches located?

Geocaches can be found all over the world. It is common for geocachers to hide caches in locations that are important to them, reflecting a special interest or skill of the cache owner. These locations can be quite diverse. They may be at your local park, at the end of a long hike, underwater or on the side of a city street.

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

Geocaches can be anything from a rubbermaid container with a log book, to a box filied with treasures.  Geocache ettiquette dictates that if you take something, you leave something of equal or greater value in it's place.

Have you heard of Geocaching?  Have you placed one? Have you found one?

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brandi185
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM

have you seen my siggy.  i have been caching for a year and a half with dh and the kids.  we have found 896 caches, done 12 challenges, and have hidden 105 caches.  we also have 27 travel bugs floating around.  

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I had not seen your siggy, that is awesome!

Quoting brandi185:

have you seen my siggy.  i have been caching for a year and a half with dh and the kids.  we have found 896 caches, done 12 challenges, and have hidden 105 caches.  we also have 27 travel bugs floating around.  

brandi185
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

are you an active cacher?

momof6nokc
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM

We haven't Geocached (yet) but we love to letterbox!

TempestRayne
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

not really, we've only just decided to start, lol.

Quoting brandi185:

are you an active cacher?

fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Well, we went looking for three, but only found one. Granted, the random thunderstorms kind of put a kibosh on the whole event.

brandi185
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

keep trying.  it's great practice for the skill of observation.  there was a cache that took us 3 visits and a clue from the cache owner then 2 more visits before we found it.  there are a few we still have not found.  have you made friends with any fellow cachers?  if not i would advise seeking out an event cache that would be good for beginners.  we have one around here that is the third thursday of every month.  we get new cachers all the time and we're all happy to give advise and clues.

Quoting TempestRayne:

Well, we went looking for three, but only found one. Granted, the random thunderstorms kind of put a kibosh on the whole event.

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN