Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We still have awhile yet before our school starts, but I was looking for some different after school snack ideas. Last school year my boys would have a bowl of oatmeal, leftovers, soup, or bean burrito, with 2 pieces of fruit and a bowl of popcorn every day. The younger kids would eat the same but on a much smaller scale. Any ideas on other snacks they could make? I swear my boys are going to put us in the poor house with as much as the 3 of them eat. lol

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Replies (11-12):
momof6nokc
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

It sounds like your kids have different requirements for after school snacks than most kids do.  Late dinner, strenuous after school activities, etc. make them need more food than the kids who come home from school and eat dinner at 6:00. 

Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, burritos, yogurt, meatball subs, spaghetti, fried chicken, etc. would all be fairly inexpensive and healthy "snacks".

Your trick is going to be finding the basic foods on sale/couponing and going from there.  I know I can get Market Pantry brand (from Target) boxes of pasta and their jars of sauce for $1.50 total when on sale and using a coupon.  Add a pound of hamburger meat for $4 a pound and you have a fairly cheap/decent snack.

Oatmeal is CHEAP as is Cream of Wheat. 

I buy meatballs at my local Whole Foods, add a jar of pasta sauce, serve over whole wheat sandwich rolls or sub rolls, add mozzarella cheese and it's a yummy, inexpensive meal.

Homemade Tacos are cheap and easy. 

I'll keep thinking.  Where do you live by the way?  My sister lives in Steamboat, CO and her kids always skiied on the ski team too. So much fun!

It's very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage.  Or, as I like to call it:  'marriage'.  You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch.  I parked my car, I didn't gay park it." 

~Liz Feldman~

TJFBGMommy
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Thank you :)  I'm definitely going to try the meatball subs, I'll just make up a huge batch of meatballs then freeze them. We always have ground moose on hand, but the price of other foods is quite a bit higher here than other places. We got our first Target a few years ago, but never really looked at their food. Guess I need to do that. :)  So it all evens out in the end. We live in Alaska, the ski slope is 5 minutes from my house, it's silly NOT to ski/snowboard when you're as close as we are. :)  

Quoting momof6nokc:

It sounds like your kids have different requirements for after school snacks than most kids do.  Late dinner, strenuous after school activities, etc. make them need more food than the kids who come home from school and eat dinner at 6:00. 

Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, burritos, yogurt, meatball subs, spaghetti, fried chicken, etc. would all be fairly inexpensive and healthy "snacks".

Your trick is going to be finding the basic foods on sale/couponing and going from there.  I know I can get Market Pantry brand (from Target) boxes of pasta and their jars of sauce for $1.50 total when on sale and using a coupon.  Add a pound of hamburger meat for $4 a pound and you have a fairly cheap/decent snack.

Oatmeal is CHEAP as is Cream of Wheat. 

I buy meatballs at my local Whole Foods, add a jar of pasta sauce, serve over whole wheat sandwich rolls or sub rolls, add mozzarella cheese and it's a yummy, inexpensive meal.

Homemade Tacos are cheap and easy. 

I'll keep thinking.  Where do you live by the way?  My sister lives in Steamboat, CO and her kids always skiied on the ski team too. So much fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)