Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do You or Your Tweens Like RollerCoasters?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM
  • 15 Replies

Roller Coaster Stranded At Top of Hill For Hours Terrifies Riders (VIDEO)

roller coaster stuckThe brand new Superman Ultimate Flight roller coaster at Six Flags in Northern California stopped at the tippy top of the ride (about 150 feet in the air), stranding passengers and leaving authorities scrambling to get the dozen riders down safety. This, my friends, is the REAL reason to not ride roller coasters.

When I was younger, I lived for roller coasters. An avowed adrenaline junkie, it was a safe way to get a cheap fix with no broken speed limits, crappy bungee cords, or white water drowning to be concerned with. But the real danger with roller coasters is not usually dying. It's getting stuck and being really, really uncomfortable, out of control and bored for as long as it takes to fix the darn thing.

Spending two hours at the top of a hill in the air, half on a twist, stuck in one position is reason enough for me to leave those rides to the young'uns. See below:

Officials were able to use a crane with a bucket attached to reach the riders and give them water during the two hours they were stuck and the operators were eventually able to restore power and bring the ride back down (backwards).

The good news is that roller coasters are apparently designed to stop when there is something potentially dangerous on the tracks. The bad news is: then people get stuck.

In the end, this is not a dangerous thing, it's just massively inconvenient and probably really uncomfortable, to boot. Being locked into one of those seats with the shoulder device above you is not exactly sleeping in an easy chair. It sounds pretty much akin to torture.

No thanks!

I prefer real risks. Sure, they may be more dangerous, but they also have more reward.

I would so much rather mountain climb or raft through rapids with friends than ride a roller coaster at this point. Sure, the roller coaster is a much safer way to get thrills, but this is just a reminder that when you ride a ride, you are beholden not only to the other riders and lines and the park management, you are also just waiting for the mechanics to fail.

There is nothing fun about getting stuck on a roller coaster, but even on the worst day, mountain biking in the outdoors is a REAL roller coaster adventure with real risk. I'll take it over an annoying roller coaster any day.

Do you like amusement parks?

Do you or your tween ride rollercoasters?

Have you ever been stuck on a rollercoaster?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoGibson
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Love them, but I will never allow a child under 12 to go in one after my 8 year old son was almost killed. The seat belt failed and he was too small to stay under the back up safety bar (even though he passed the height requirement). I had to lock my arms around him and hold him in the seat and loop my fingers into his jean loops (which broke one of my fingers) to keep him in the seat. If he would have been with a sibling or stranger he would have fallen out.

Reina13
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM

And this is why I almost never get on them anymore. The older I get, the more chicken I get...lol

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I used to love roller coasters, but the older that I get, not so much.  KWIM?

My tween loves them and luckily so does my dad.  My husband has never been a fan.  So my dad rides with my tween and they've ridden quite a few.

I've never been stuck on a coaster before, but my dad and uncle were stuck on one back in the 80's.  It was one that was pretty much just a loop that you went through forwards and then backwards and then got off the ride.  Well the ride wouldn't stop, so they kept going and going and going.  It seemed like an eternity before they finally got the ride stopped and by that point my dad and uncle were white as ghosts.  It was pretty funny for those of us watching, but not so much for them.

our3
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Do you like amusement parks? -- No I dont like them, their over priced and the lines are way to long.

Do you or your tween ride rollercoasters? -- I have in the past and my tween never has.

Have you ever been stuck on a rollercoaster? -- No

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I took my oldest daughter to Great America last year and she went on The Demon (which was the scariest ride for me growing up).  I was very nervous for her but she wanted to do it and she loved it.

It takes her awhile to build up her condifence and then once she makes a decision to do it....she is all for it.  That's just how she works.

With my twins (6), I can see Mia wanting to do it and Micaela being a little nervous about it.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

Do you watch Modern Family?  If so, do you remember the episode when they were going to Disneyland and Phil got all excited because Luke was tall enough to go on the rides.  When he did, he couldn't take it as well as he wanted to do.

That's me.  I was SO excited this year when I found out that my oldest was tall enough for the big slides at the water park.  When I went on it with her, I kept saying "what the hell am I doing?" haha.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Do you watch Modern Family?  If so, do you remember the episode when they were going to Disneyland and Phil got all excited because Luke was tall enough to go on the rides.  When he did, he couldn't take it as well as he wanted to do.

That's me.  I was SO excited this year when I found out that my oldest was tall enough for the big slides at the water park.  When I went on it with her, I kept saying "what the hell am I doing?" haha.

I had the same exact thing happen 2 years ago when we went to King's Island.

fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

We don't like them at all.lol

STKsMomma
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I love amusement parks and will go on any coaster that does not go upside down. My dh loves them and my kids have only rode the kiddie ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yes.

Yes and yes.

No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)