Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School shopping isn't enough

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM
  • 24 Replies
I took dd shopping yesterday to buy some shirts and socks and panties; spent $50 on those so far and still have shorts and shoes also school supplies left so I told dd that she will have to use her back pack from last year just until next pay day and she went off saying we said she could get a new one this school year and I told her you can but just use you other one till September since she starts school on the 27th. I swear kids think money grows from trees and you can buy and buy all the time, she just can't understand we only have so much spending money for the month and if I use it all on school stuff then we have nothing left and can't do anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandi185
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

this will be the 3rd year my boys have reused the same back pack.  they don't really care mostly because the most choice they have is what color.  their school requires they use either clear or mesh back packs.  it kind of sucks because the root of this school district is in a bad area but the schools my 2 boys go to are in good areas.  they have a district wide very strip dress code because of that bad area.

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
psych_mom
by Stacy on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I would tell her to deal. My kids were willing to use their backpacks and after they had that attitude we decided that when they are clearanced out later in Aug we will go and buy then new ones. If they would have been crabby about it they wouldn't be getting new ones at all because football is moneying us to death.

our3
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM
3 moms liked this

After she did that I would have informed her she is now using the bag all year. I would not tolerate that she's well old enough to understand money. Good luck.

hollydaze1974
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Oh wow, sorry....ask her if she'd like for the family to eat for the next week get a new pack. Sometimes things just need to be put in perspective. Or take new clothes back for the back pack. When a choice is given, they learn to think a little more about money.
When I was a single parent, I remember going to the shoe store with my then four yr old. I tried on a lovely pair of shoes and, a little bummed, I put them back. Ds ask why I didn't get them and I told him, I couldn't afford them. He looked at me wild eyed and exclaimed " you mean you can't have everything YOU want either?"
It was an amazing lesson for him. He learned that funds are finite and never ever fussed about not getting a toy again, he would just show me "just in case" lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

You're a lot nicer than me. As soon as she got an attitude, she would've been using the same backpack all year.

cleanmoss
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
She been using the same one for like 4 years so she is due for a new one but has to understand she needs to wait till pay day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maria1415
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Idk kids are so mean these days. I would try looking for a 5-10 dollar one at least?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM
I wouldn't buy her a new one at all if it were my kid. They would use it till it fell apart and then use grocery sacks until they saved enough of their own money to buy one. But if you do decide to get her one, check yardsales and goodwill. Thats where I get all my kids' backpacks. Throw them in the washer and they look like new!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:07 AM
Give her your budget for the start of the school year and make her make the choices BUT she must get X,Y,Z within the budget and the rest is up to what she thinks is important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I do have a question......was getting socks and panties really important? For shirts and shorts.....why do you have to get new ones? Is there anything wrong with the other ones? I'm not judging nor am I saying your daughter is right but I see a lot of posts about getting things just because its the start of the year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)