Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Tween with a snotty attitude. In desperate need of help! PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

Our DD(8) has the most snottiest attitude! We have been dealing with this for a little over a year almost 2 years. She is as sweet as can be with girls her age, around their parents, school, church, everywhere except for at home or with family. She backtalks constantly, always has to have the last word, lies to us about the dumbest things...it's just ridiculous! She is the meanest to her little sister(5 yrs). She thinks she is the adult in the house and yells like she has the authority. DH and I are at our breaking point with her. Time out doesn't phase her, spanking doesn't phase her, grounding her doesn't phase her...we don't know what else to do! What punishment? What to do to change her ugly attitude? Please help!!

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Wyldbutterfly
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not tolerate the back talk at home or allowing her to be nasty to her sister.

Something has got to work. If grounding doesn't work, find her special something that "she can't live without" and take it away for a good long while. Give it back when she earns it.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, you need to find her currency and take it away from her.  For backtalk, I always give my boys one chance at a redo to talk to me nicely, if they can't then they are sent to their room to think about how they should behave.  Honestly, you need to really crack down on her now, as she isn't even really a tween yet and it will only get worse.

emilyrosenj
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

At home is her comfort zone so she is going to experiment to see how far she can get.  You need to set specific boundaries to let her know it's NOT ok.  You may think the punishments are not working, but they probably are more than you know.  Also when grounded make sure she has NO priveledges.  My daughter is not even allowed to speak without permission if her grounding is because of backtalk.  LOL!  Just stay firm and consistent and she will come around!

mamma2mygirls
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Thank you Mammas for your advice. I'm going to make a rule board and hang it in the house. We'll be taking away her favorite things when she misbehaves. The kids don't have t.v's in their room but she does have her dsi and ipod, these will be items she needs to earn back. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
our3
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Dont let it happen. Take everything away and make her earn everything bad with good behavior. If she gets crapping again take it away. Give her the chores she absolutly hates. Make is perfectly clear you are in charge and not going to take it. And seriously time outs stop working when the kids are like 4. Take charge , your letting her act this way by not stopping it.

This type of behavior is not tolerated at all. 1 snotty remark and DD looses the computer, after another crappy behavior she looses TV and DS, after the 3rd strike she looses everything and is on kitchen duty for 2 weeks. And beleive me she hates kitche duty so we have only gotten to this step once.

psych_mom
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other ladies. Gotta be tough and hard on her. Don't let her get away with it even once.

fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Remove privalges :O)

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mamma2mygirls:

Thank you Mammas for your advice. I'm going to make a rule board and hang it in the house. We'll be taking away her favorite things when she misbehaves. The kids don't have t.v's in their room but she does have her dsi and ipod, these will be items she needs to earn back. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Don't forget to praise and reward for positive things too.  I think too often, parents only see discipline as punishments but discipline is also rewarding good behavior.  People, in general, want to do more when they are praised.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)