Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

I need to nip this in the bud....NOW

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

One of my twins is driving my nutso.  She is very silly and will often go too far with it when she is supposed to be doing something else.  For example, she will get out of the bath and instead of just getting dressed, she'll run around in her underwear trying to play with her sisters.  If there are things left out (like art supplies), we know exactly who did it....Mia. 

Well, today, she was in a playful mood this morning, walks out to the car and my husband took them to school.  They get to school where she finally remembers that she left her lunch and backpack at home.  I was 5 minutes from my exit to work and my husband's first day of work is today (he is a teacher) and he absolutely cannot be late.  So, she is going to use her once a week hot lunch today instead of Friday and she will have to carry her homework folder in her hand or put it in her sister's backpack.

Anyways, I don't think she has ADD but she does get silly and doesn't pay attention.

Any recommendations for at least the morning? 

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM
You and her dad make sure she has it in her hand, in the car, before they leave.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quoting TempestRayne:

You and her dad make sure she has it in her hand, in the car, before they leave.

Usually, I am at the door and will check but I was in the kitchen getting my own snacks and he was in the bedroom when they went to the car.

I feel like it's more HER responsibility so i'm trying to find something that she can do to learn to remember her own stuff.

TempestRayne
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
How about a checklist by the door.
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

At my house, your backpack has to be completely packed and waiting by the door before you go to bed.  The only exception is their lunch box, which must be packed and waiting in the refrigerator.

I agree with you that it should be their responsibility and not mom and dads.

nebcutie
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM
My friends dd is like this. She talked to the school and they started just letting her get in trouble for it at school. As for my friend she would make sure her stuff was all in her bag and ready to go the night before and would even have her put it in the car that night. If she didnt take it from there then she got to stay in at recess and redo all the papers that were in her bag and after school if needed. Now she was lucky the teacher worked with her dd on this and didnt mind doing this since they wanted to nip the problem before she got older. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

At my house, your backpack has to be completely packed and waiting by the door before you go to bed.  The only exception is their lunch box, which must be packed and waiting in the refrigerator.

I agree with you that it should be their responsibility and not mom and dads.

Yeah....it was but knucklehead was too busy being silly she just walked out to the car without everything.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Quoting TempestRayne:

How about a checklist by the door.

That's a good idea.  I will probably have to put something on the door that is at their eye-level.

psych_mom
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Hmmm... I think if she forgets it enough times and misses recess she will start remembering better.

dizzy21712
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

This is something you have to get her teacher on board with, but let her suffer the consequences of her forgetfulness. We had this same problem with our dd last year. I was constantly getting phone calls from her because she forgot her homework or her lunch. I went in and spoke with the teacher and explained that we wanted this to stop and for her to start taking responsibility for her self. So in the evening before bedtime, we reminded her that she needed to pack her backpack and put it by the front door. In the morning I had her help pack her lunch and told her one time to put it by the front door. If she didn't do those things and got to school, it was on her to explain to her teacher. Homework had to be redone at recess and  if I had to pay for a hot lunch, she had to pay me back in the form of chores around the house. It didn't take very long for her to understand I was not going to bail her out and she had better start paying more attention.

fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I think at this age it is pretty normal :O) as far as ways to help we get everything ready the night before. Backpacks we hang in the doorknob.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN