Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

School Supplies... do you buy EVERYTHING on the list?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 38 Replies

Some of the stuff is so ridiculous .... Once they asked everyone to buy tennis balls , when I asked what they were for they sd they were going to be used on the chairs to protect the floors .  Do you buy everything on the list ? What is the most ridiculous thing your school has ever asked for ?

***I guess I forgot to mention they didn't end up using the tennis balls , I know because I volunteer regularly. I always buy my kids everything and then some . I was just wondering if your school asks for weird stuff like ours .We have to take band aids . and dry erase markers , that the students do not end up using . I know because my children tell me . Doesn't mean I don't buy them though.

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Have you ever been in the classroom when the kids move their chairs a lot???  It's noisy and distracting which is why they use the tennis balls to soften the sound.  I don't question our teachers.  If it's on supply list, they have a reason for the supply and I have complete confidence in their reason they put it on their list.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Oh....and, yes, I do buy everything they ask for and then some.

Proud-mama-05
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Yes I do I figure if it's on the list they're going to need it at some point so otherwise it wouldn't be one the list right

psych_mom
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Yes, I do buy everything on the list. I know that if I don't the teachers will most likely have to purchase it and I know what the teachers make- we have had to live off of that same salary and it is not easy. Not all of them are married so they don't all have a second income to help out so I don't want to be the parent responisble for them being short on cash one month. They have never asked for anything crazy on any of our school list.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Yes, I do and I encourage everyone to always buy everything on the list.  Unless you have been in the classroom on a very regular basis, you have absolutley no idea how much stuff kids actually go through in the course of a year or what they use all of those odd items for.

SahmTam
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Yes, I buy everything on the list. I can't really think of anything ridiculous that was on any of my kids' lists.

Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yes, it is on the list for a reason and what we don't buy the teacher will have to buy.  I can't imagine not buying what is needed for my child's classroom without a very good reason.

emilyrosenj
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Yes usually, I haven't seen any thing unreasonable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Yes, I buy what is on the list. I haven't seen anything unreasonable on it, despite it usually being a long list.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM
The PTO at my 5 year old's school raised enough money to buy all the school supplies for the kids for this year, so we didn't have to buy anything for that.
My 13 year old didn't really have anything unnecessary on his list. He needed a new backpack because his old one wouldnt hold his binder this year, and a calculator, pens, pencils, highlighter, paper, a couple of folders and kleenex was about it. We bought everything on the list. If there had been something that seemed silly, I would have asked about it before I bought it. One year they wanted every kid to bring three boxes of crayons in case they broke some. We didn't do that. I told them I would gladly replace them if he broke them. He didn't. He was in 5th grade and I was pretty sure he wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN