Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Back to School Night - children or no children? **UPDATE

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM
  • 13 Replies

I know historically Back to School Night is for the parents.  I think I remember that we used to stay at home at my mom or both my parents would go to the school.  Nowadays, kids are coming with the parents.  We have always taken our kids only because we either didn't have anyone to watch them or it was easier since we just picked them up from the afterschool care and went straight to the multi-purpose room.

The reason I'm asking is because 3/4 of the players on my daughter's soccer team attends a school within the district and has Back to School Night.  The coach asked me for suggestions (i'm the team parent).  The options are:

- team practices from 5 - 5:45pm so families can attend Back to School Night

- He can have a full practice 5 - 6:30 with goalies going until 7:15 and then he would let the kids play at the park (basically babysit) until Back to School Night is done (between 7:30 - 8).

What do you think?

Update:

We decided that we are going to leave her at practice while we attend Back to School Night.  Her coach has incredible energy so he will most likely be running around with them at the park after practice until we get there.  He is pretty awesome.

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Here, kids are encouraged to go to the Back to School Night, and then they have a parents night a couple weeks into school.

If kids aren't supposed to attend, I would do option 2---if the parents are comfortable leaving the kids at practice. If most partents won't drop off their kids, then I'd go with option 1.

GotSomeKids
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Our school doesn't care.  I like to take the kids so they can meet their teachers prior to the begining of the school year.  Although, this year, they happen to meet their teachers on the last day of school.  They also bring in all their school supplies in their backpacks, so it gives them something to do while we talk to their teachers.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Our school doesn't care.  I like to take the kids so they can meet their teachers prior to the begining of the school year.  Although, this year, they happen to meet their teachers on the last day of school.  They also bring in all their school supplies in their backpacks, so it gives them something to do while we talk to their teachers.

School started last WEdnesday.  It's a time for parents to come in and talk to the teachers about their rules, class procedures, expectations, etc. 

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

We do a "Family School Night" a few weeks into the school year.  Students are supposed to attend, that way they can introduce their parents to their teachers and show their parents all of their classwork/art work that is hanging up around the room and hallways and also act as the tour guide around the building.

In this case, I'd go with the shorter practice or even see if you couldn't practice a different night this one time.  That is what most of the sports teams do here.

psych_mom
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Our school does this before the school year starts and kids attend because they meet their teachers that night. I am no help.

catngabsmom
by Erica on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

call the school the majority attend and ask if they prefer kids to come or not come. 

emilyrosenj
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM
I don't take my kids to back to school night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperLooneyMom
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM
My sons middle school has the students give their parents a copy of their class schedule. As parents that night we have to to those classes in 20 min periods. It's a very quick meet and greet and teacher policies.

This year we have two boys in the same school and two different set of classes. Goin to be interesting. But no we don't bring our boys to the middle school bts night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

In our school they discourage bringing kids along, so for our school I'd go with the "babysitting" option. Here BTSN is for parents, and then Open House in the spring is for families.

wenchmommy381
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Our schools ask us not to bring kids to Back-to-School night. I think that babysitting option is great for the coach to offer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)